New '16 WR450

86 replies to this topic
  • yamahadude93

Posted February 22, 2015 - 11:30 AM

Cool design for the woods, not so much the desert.

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted February 23, 2015 - 08:31 PM

The generator on the YZ250FX is the same as on the WR so it can have lights put on. I'm not sure if there are mods needed like "floating the ground wire" or not but I'm going to find out. I need night ride capable bikes.

Cubera, as you already have a battery for the estart you should be good to go to wire right up to the battery.  I believe, unlike the carbureted WR450's that had a stator that split the power (AC to the stock headlight and DC to the tail light and battery), the 250FX should be all DC and ready for lights.

• cubera

Posted February 24, 2015 - 07:53 AM

Cubera, as you already have a battery for the estart you should be good to go to wire right up to the battery.  I believe, unlike the carbureted WR450's that had a stator that split the power (AC to the stock headlight and DC to the tail light and battery), the 250FX should be all DC and ready for lights.

Not sure if the stator will be enough without modification for race lights. I know the WR450 needs stator mod for race lights.

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted February 24, 2015 - 08:12 AM

Not sure if the stator will be enough without modification for race lights. I know the WR450 needs stator mod for race lights.

Probably best to get in touch with Baja Designs.  For sure the newer fuel injected WR450's need nothing. My '12 runs a 60w LED and still puts a positive charge to the battery at idle with the light on. I'm just thinking that the 250FX has probably followed the same route with a more powerful stator than the old carbed WR due to the F.I. power requirement.  Of course it depends on how big a light you are planning to drive as well.  Apologies to the o.p. for the side track.

• cubera

Posted February 24, 2015 - 09:15 AM

For sure I'll be contacting Baja Designs. I know the stator ground has to be "floated" on the FI 2013 WR450 to power/recharge enough for HID, LED, or even Halogens. I didn't go any further because I can't figure out which lights I want on it but whatever lights I get need to also work on the 250FX....if that makes sense.

• MikeID

Posted February 24, 2015 - 04:53 PM

Yeah I should have waited...I came off an XR650R to the '14 WR450F late last summer. I should've been more patient. I think 2016 will have the new version of the 450F. I really realy like my 450F though, so I am still happy. In the mean time, I will look to replace my light bike.

I'm curious how much different the new WR will be from the 2012-15 version. I really considered one, but after riding a much lighter bike, I stayed that way. Still would love to have one, though.

Edited by MikeID, February 24, 2015 - 04:54 PM.

• iggs

Posted February 24, 2015 - 07:41 PM

How could you save weight on a WR with a YZ style engine

You are going to need a battery, starter motor and lights

What specific advantages does the yz engine offer over the current WR engine?

Obviously 6 speed is a significant difference

• mrtt

Posted February 25, 2015 - 07:53 PM

Too many different BS rules and regulations for street-ability between the States which is a huge impediment to the big four making a fifty State street legal dirt bike. In Arizona we still have some options that'll allow conversion of about any bike to at least limited street use. One of the issues here is not blinkers and horns or brake lights and headlights but whether or not your machine has insurance to go along with the limited street tag....We're patiently waiting for Arizona to screw it all up like Cali has. Just sayin'.

WR450F comes street legal in Australia, mirror, blinkers, lights and all. Don't know why Yamaha doesn't sell the 450F with same spec as in Australia.  I bet the emission specs are identical. http://www.yamaha-mo...nduro/15-wr450f

https://www.facebook...&type=1

I sense some agencies in north America don't want the 450F to be street legal from factory

Edited by mrtt, February 25, 2015 - 07:57 PM.

• cubera

Posted February 25, 2015 - 07:56 PM

Mostly it's California emissions laws that dictate to the rest of us. It's an industry unto itself .

• mrtt

Posted February 25, 2015 - 07:59 PM

Mostly it's California emissions laws that dictate to the rest of us. It's an industry unto itself .

I think 450F is plate-able but gov't want us to go through the hassle to get it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cubera

Posted February 25, 2015 - 08:01 PM

It is plate-able in Arizona and very very easy to do.

• AtomicGeo

Posted February 26, 2015 - 07:34 AM

Mine was plated in TX (supposedly it easy there too), then brought into NM.  It was a little touch-and-go here in NM, but since it came in as street-legal clean, they accepted it.

• mrtt

Posted February 26, 2015 - 08:49 AM

That's the big question in my mind also. I'll bet there's a YZ450FX in 2016 and the WR will be just like it except softer springs and more electrical and also "green sticker compliant". The 450's will be just like what Yamaha has done with the 250f's in 2015.....or so a little fly on the wall has heard. Yamaha is poised to blow some big holes in what's been considered conventional for many years; 'bout time. This is a new era in off road motorcycling and Yamaha is leading the way.

yah, i don't understand why yamaha have 2 similar bikes (YZ and WR) serving similar function while the WR250R is stuck in 2008 era and no WR450R.

It's much easier to remove parts from a factory street legal bike to go all dirt riding than buying a WR450F and adding parts to it to meet licensing requirement.

• zorroz

Posted March 11, 2015 - 03:56 PM

E-start YZ450F. The future?

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

• Krannie McKranface

Posted March 11, 2015 - 06:43 PM

WE HAVE LIFT OFF!

2015_MXGP_YZ450FM_003_zps61bbz2k7.jpg

Engine

• Model:
  • YZ450F
  • Engine type:
  • liquid-cooled, 4-stroke, DOHC, 4-valves
  • Displacement:
  • 449,7 cc
  • Bore x stroke:
  • 97.0 mm x 60,6 mm
  • Compression ratio:
  • 12.5 : 1
  • Lubrication system:
  • Wet sump
  • Clutch type:
  • Wet, Multiple Disc
  • Fuel system:
  • Fuel Injection
  • Ignition system:
  • TCI
  • Starter system:
  • Electric   <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
  • Transmission system:
  • Constant Mesh, 5-speed
  • Final transmission:
  • Chain

Edited by Kah Ran Nee, March 11, 2015 - 06:43 PM.

• iggs

Posted March 11, 2015 - 07:47 PM

Does it have a kick start?

Friend of mine has a KTM with e-start only and has had no end of problems recently because he wasn't able to kick it

• Krannie McKranface

Posted March 11, 2015 - 08:34 PM

Does it have a kick start?

Friend of mine has a KTM with e-start only and has had no end of problems recently because he wasn't able to kick it

Then he's a douche for not maintaining his battery and charging system

Neglect is not an enineering matter....

• Krannie McKranface

Posted March 11, 2015 - 08:35 PM

I guess your friend is'nt allowed to have one of these then

2015_MXGP_YZ450FM_001_zpsij04kmyw.jpg

• iggs

Posted March 11, 2015 - 09:14 PM

Then he's a douche for not maintaining his battery and charging system

Neglect is not an enineering matter....

Bike is well maintained just had multiple problems inc battery and starter motor

Reliability is an engineering matter ;-)

• iggs

Posted March 11, 2015 - 09:18 PM

this isnt a WR though is it, this is an e-start YZ

But would form the base for a reverse engined WR.

Obviously a front light needs adding. I wonder is they will add a kick start, they obviously could because its a YZ engine. I wonder if they think the market needs it?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.