Zeta XC vs Zeta XC Pro Hand Guards

9 replies to this topic
  • Snow Drift

Posted February 04, 2015 - 04:16 PM

I am interested in buying some Zeta hand guards that come with the led indicators in them. I see that there is the XC and the XC Pro ones. The XC ones seem to have holes in them in two places other than where the indicators fit and it looks strange to me. I would rather have ones that are solid to keep out as much air as possible for when riding in colder conditions.

The XC Pro ones have no extra holes or gaps and are larger but they only come in white or black and I'm not sure how they will look with the stock blue colour scheme headlight and plastics on my 2007 WR450.

Here in the UK there aren't many places that sell the XC ones and I don't think there are any places that sell the XC Pro ones. I was wondering if there is anybody who has or has even seen both in a shop and can tell me what you think about the two and the differences between them?

The flashers like some other lights come with either clear or smoked lenses. I actually don't know what the difference looks like when in operation. How do smoked ones still flash orange is it with orange leds or do they not flash orange?

• foggy3061

Posted February 05, 2015 - 07:25 AM

I have the armor-guard handguards with the XC protectors, like these:

http://www.dirtbikexpress.co.uk/bike_parts/motocross_handguards/zeta_motocross_handguards/zeta_armor-guard_curved_handguard_kit_-_blue

I really rate them, and a few in our group have moved to them too as other brand’s similar products are getting more expensive and are no better in protection or quality.

I guess these are the protectors you are considering?

http://www.dirtbikexpress.co.uk/bike_parts/motocross_handguards/zeta_motocross_handguards/zeta_armor-guard_xc_protectors_with_indicator_flashers

I can't say I know of anyone who has the xc or xc pro with indicators though - we all use hand signals!

• GuyGraham

Posted February 05, 2015 - 10:37 AM

I got black XC ones

10655329_10204040726212591_1831900520298

• Snow Drift

Posted February 08, 2015 - 03:39 PM

Hi guys thanks for the replies. Yes those are the XC ones that I was considering. The XC Pro ones are similar but a little bigger with no holes other than the indicator slots.

I think I will probably go for the XC ones like you guys have as they look good and they seem to be available from a few places over here.

One big question I have next though is what type of mounts are best to go with them. I have just taken off some pollisport hand guards that came with my bike when I bought it secondhand. They had mounts that attached to the bars. I don't think that I will be able to reuse the handguard mounts as they look to be a different shape.

Are triple clamp mounts a good idea and if so are the side or front mounts better. The triple clamp mounts seem like they would give more room for switch gear and other controls on the bike and they look a little tidier. However, I thought I read posts about them causing issues with the steering and geometory when crashed.

• cb0y1

Posted February 08, 2015 - 08:31 PM

Any thought to the highway dirt bikes handguards. They have one of the best mounting setups and pretty much indestructible, at least I've never been able to damage mine.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • foggy3061

Posted February 09, 2015 - 04:45 AM

The Zeta armor guards with the XC protectors come with new bar mounts/fitting kit.

You will have to choose between standard size or oversize bars though. They attach on the bend of the bars so don't really interfere with where your controls mount.

Here you go, these are the Zeta armor guard with XC protectors mounted with the fixing kit they come with. Plenty of room on the bars.

20150209_164128_zpsp4fuuoiz.jpg

Edited by foggy3061, February 09, 2015 - 10:24 AM.

• Snow Drift

Posted February 09, 2015 - 04:56 PM

Thanks but I want to stick to the Zeta ones as they have the flasher units built in.

Foggy that is helpful. I see what you mean, even if you go for the triple clamp mounts you probably have to buy the initial bar mount kit anyway. I do wish there was more choice like the US. If the triple clamp mounts were better then I was considering ordering them from the US. I am not sure whether to go for black or silver metal armour. The US seems to have blue which would have been a nice compliment to the blue plastics. Do you have any photos of yours from the front?

Every time I start digging into issues I seem to come up with more questions. Like how do I know if my bars are correct. I mean when do people change their handle bars to a higher rise? When do people fit fatter bars?

• foggy3061

Posted February 10, 2015 - 12:37 AM

Thanks but I want to stick to the Zeta ones as they have the flasher units built in.

Foggy that is helpful. I see what you mean, even if you go for the triple clamp mounts you probably have to buy the initial bar mount kit anyway. I do wish there was more choice like the US. If the triple clamp mounts were better then I was considering ordering them from the US. I am not sure whether to go for black or silver metal armour. The US seems to have blue which would have been a nice compliment to the blue plastics. Do you have any photos of yours from the front?

Every time I start digging into issues I seem to come up with more questions. Like how do I know if my bars are correct. I mean when do people change their handle bars to a higher rise? When do people fit fatter bars?

As the zeta’s come with the bar mounts anyway (they’re part of the kit so you don't have to buy separately) it’s easier to use them. I haven’t seen the zeta top yoke / triple clamp mounts, not sure how available they are in the UK.

I got the black armor guards, only because the Ti colored ones were out of stock at the time!

As for bars depends on how comfortable you are on the bike. I only changed mine to Renthal Fatbars as I wanted wider and slightly taller bars over the Pro Taper bars the bike came with as standard.

• Snow Drift

Posted February 11, 2015 - 12:48 PM

Why do they make fat bars. Do they have to be fat bars to raise the height or is it an option just for extra strength. The difficulty with buying things like handguards is trying to work out what I might want to change in a few months time e.g. fat bars.

Are fat bars only bigger towards the centre or do they effect all the controls as well.

It looks like you have Zeta clamps to hold the bars. Did you have to purchase these to fit the bars?

Edited by Snow Drift, February 11, 2015 - 12:52 PM.

• foggy3061

Posted February 12, 2015 - 12:41 AM

Why do they make fat bars. Do they have to be fat bars to raise the height or is it an option just for extra strength. The difficulty with buying things like handguards is trying to work out what I might want to change in a few months time e.g. fat bars.

Are fat bars only bigger towards the centre or do they effect all the controls as well.

It looks like you have Zeta clamps to hold the bars. Did you have to purchase these to fit the bars?

I guess it’s just for increased bar strength. From 2007 on all the WR’s have oversize bars as standard; this made it easy to swap out the standard Pro Taper bars for some Renthal Fatbars.

Yes, oversize bars are only a larger diameter in the centre and taper back down to 7/8” / 22mm through the bend so all controls fit all bars.

It’s the full Zeta top triple clamp / yoke - I’m the same height/build as David Knight so this yoke allowed me to move the bars forward and gain a bit more room!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.