To EFI or not to EFI?

5 replies to this topic
  • hubbazoot

Posted February 04, 2015 - 02:41 PM

Hey All,

So I'm looking into getting a new WR450. I intend on converting the bike to a supermoto, and it will see little/no dirt time. I'm still on the fence as to whether to buy new/used, and whether to buy an older bike that carb'd or buy a newwer one that's EFI. I want a bike that can run at a variety of altitudes well, as some of my rides will take me from Denver up to the continental divide.

What I'd do if money was no object:

I'd buy a brand new WR, a set of white plastics from Acerbis, and put on a custom color scheme/decal kit. I'd get a different headlight, taillight, and install some nice blinkers. I'd change the chain/sprocket combo to one that was more supermoto-friendly, and put on some nice sumo wheels, probably some glossy powdercoated ones.

But alas, money is an object, so what would you recommend?

• stevethe

Posted February 04, 2015 - 03:20 PM

Hey All,

So I'm looking into getting a new WR450. I intend on converting the bike to a supermoto, and it will see little/no dirt time. I'm still on the fence as to whether to buy new/used, and whether to buy an older bike that carb'd or buy a newwer one that's EFI. I want a bike that can run at a variety of altitudes well, as some of my rides will take me from Denver up to the continental divide.

What I'd do if money was no object:
I'd buy a brand new WR, a set of white plastics from Acerbis, and put on a custom color scheme/decal kit. I'd get a different headlight, taillight, and install some nice blinkers. I'd change the chain/sprocket combo to one that was more supermoto-friendly, and put on some nice sumo wheels, probably some glossy powdercoated ones.

But alas, money is an object, so what would you recommend?

Personally I wouldn't waste my time with fuel injection. Though they would work well at altitude. However so does a well dialed in carb.
I would consider a six speed fuel injected one but they are not out yet.
The 07-11 are very solid good bikes.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted February 04, 2015 - 05:08 PM

Waste of time, for that alone.

The suspension however, makes it worth it to go new.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • hubbazoot

Posted February 04, 2015 - 05:41 PM

Waste of time, for that alone.

The suspension however, makes it worth it to go new.

How much difference is there in suspension between the EFI years and the non-efi?

Like I said, this would be a street-only supermoto...

• Krannie McKranface

Posted February 04, 2015 - 06:30 PM

For street only, I would do FI, just because of gas mileage and zero gas spills.

Get it ported, YZ cams, New ECU, and go hooligan your neighbors into moving away.

• AtomicGeo

Posted February 04, 2015 - 07:53 PM

IMO, I would get FI with the FMF exhaust.  The quick revving GYTR map:

1 1 1   1 3 4

3 2 1   2 2 2

3 3 1   2 1 1

has a much better "off a dead stop" throttle response than than the carb'd version bike.  I would also go to a 14-48 gearing for street.

Edited by AtomicGeo, February 04, 2015 - 07:53 PM.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.