Genuine hours on 2nd hand YZ450? or NOT?

11 replies to this topic
  • Rizzky

Posted February 03, 2015 - 02:00 PM

I bought a 2012 model YZF450 last week which I was told had 25hours on it, however it didn’t have an hour meter so the only thing which I could do is base my inspection on the overall condition of the bike, i.e. scratches/scuffs on the frame, motor, swing-arm etc.

I have taken it to my local dealership to have the valve clearances & oil + filter change just for sanity, I was told that that the clearances where fine and from what they could see the motor looked great. It passed all compression testing and the overall health of the bike (bearings, filters etc.) they said was good.

However, the fork seals and the front bushes are completely worn. They have told me that it would be very hard to wear out the bushes in 25 hours worth of riding so they are thinking that its either;

1) The hours on the bike are not genuine

2) The fork seals have been leaking for a long time and have never been replaces therefore as a result the bushes have worn

What’s everyone’s thoughts on this?

Thanks

• Wild Alaskan

Posted February 03, 2015 - 02:13 PM

Who cares? you already bought it.

• BoxcarWilly

Posted February 03, 2015 - 02:15 PM

As long as its mechanically sound it should be fine, if only one of the major factors in determining the hours of a bike is off, wouldn't you trust the majority? My bet is it had leaky fork seals.

• Monk

Posted February 03, 2015 - 02:24 PM

Could always plug a tuner in and check...

• grayracer513

Posted February 03, 2015 - 02:42 PM

Could always plug a tuner in and check...

...and use the tuner to reset the hours to zero, anytime you want.   That's the problem with reading hours from the ECU.

• Monk

Posted February 03, 2015 - 02:46 PM

...and use the tuner to reset the hours to zero, anytime you want. That's the problem with reading hours from the ECU.

Still worth a shot...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Wiz636

Posted February 03, 2015 - 06:38 PM

Are you talking about the bushings in the fork?  Leaky fork seas are not a good indicator of hours...they can get worn out pretty quickly in sandy or muddy conditions.  If the seals were shot and the bike was ridden for awhile with very low fork oil then I suppose that could wear the coating off the bushings pretty quickly but it's still not a definitive indicator of hours.

As Gray mentioned, the hours can be reset to '0' with the tuner so it's hard to make a call from that.

• ka24s14am

Posted February 04, 2015 - 12:55 PM

I had to replace the fork seals on my 2012 yz450 at 21 hours. One started leaking pretty bad.

• grayracer513

Posted February 04, 2015 - 01:17 PM

All you have to do to make a fork seal leak is leave some dried mud on the tube before you ride.

Then, too, 25 hours could be as many as 15 or more track days, too. It's actual running time, not total time at the site.

• Rizzky

Posted February 04, 2015 - 01:56 PM

Are you talking about the bushings in the fork? 

Yes i am talking about the bushings in the fork. 

Reason why i am thinking it could be that is because the guy i bought it off didn't look like he washed the bike very often, meaning he probably has a lot of dried mud around the fork seals and just never replaced them which is why this could have led to the bushings being worn, agree? 

• f150jokerstyle

Posted February 04, 2015 - 06:03 PM

Yes i am talking about the bushings in the fork. 

Reason why i am thinking it could be that is because the guy i bought it off didn't look like he washed the bike very often, meaning he probably has a lot of dried mud around the fork seals and just never replaced them which is why this could have led to the bushings being worn, agree? 

The bushings can wear prematurely if the person did not know how to put a front wheel on correctly as well. I.e fork legs toed in or out at the bottom. Did the guy seem like hey lets get a dirt bike that might be fun, or did he know his stuff? I use that as much as an indicator when buying a new bike as I do general appearance or any hour meter of any kind.

• glenn19

Posted February 04, 2015 - 07:47 PM

These bikes are pretty bullet proof so I wouldn't worry about it too much, if valves were good etc just ride the hell out of it and maintain it to the best of your ability.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.