Which Rekluse for my 2014 WR450?

14 replies to this topic
  • iggs

Posted February 03, 2015 - 04:44 AM

I think I want to try a Rekluse. Its going to be used in the desert on my new 2014 WR450 when it arrives. The bike will be an standard 'enduro' style bike most of the time but for the next few weeks will be built up as a rally bike and the extra weight that brings.

I think I have a choice of 2

The EXP 3.0 at $399

or

the Core EXP 3.0 at $899

Apart from the bling clutch cover what are the differences and what would you recommend for an intermediate rider

• wes513v

Posted February 03, 2015 - 04:59 AM

Z start pro. Best clutch they make.

• iggs

Posted February 03, 2015 - 05:12 AM

Z start pro. Best clutch they make.

Ok, wasn't expecting that answer. Can you explain why?

• wes513v

Posted February 03, 2015 - 05:27 AM

They are bulletproof, easy to set up, they don't eliminate any clutch plates like the cores and have a lot of adjustability. Plus the cost puts them right in the middle of your range. I've been using one since 2010 on my KX and just put one on my new YZ. The lever feel is different than what you are used to but its not a negative at all. It's non existent until the clutch engages and then increases as engagement increases. At full engagement it feels like a normal clutch.

• iggs

Posted February 03, 2015 - 05:45 AM

They are bulletproof, easy to set up, they don't eliminate any clutch plates like the cores and have a lot of adjustability. Plus the cost puts them right in the middle of your range. I've been using one since 2010 on my KX and just put one on my new YZ. The lever feel is different than what you are used to but its not a negative at all. It's non existent until the clutch engages and then increases as engagement increases. At full engagement it feels like a normal clutch.

I might be missing something but I can't see one for the 2012-onwards listed on the site :-(

http://rekluse.mybig...art-Pro-Clutch/

• 53Willys

Posted February 03, 2015 - 05:53 AM

The EXP 3.0 uses 2 less friction plates and  stronger pressure plate springs to make up for it. The clutch pull is close to normal but a little harder.

The Core EXP 3.0 keeps all of the clutch plates and has a normal feel

I think the V Start is being eliminated in favor of the Core

• wes513v

Posted February 03, 2015 - 06:58 AM

I might be missing something but I can't see one for the 2012-onwards listed on the site :-(

http://rekluse.mybig...art-Pro-Clutch/

Give them a call, they sometimes have parts they don't show on the website for some reason.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Just_a_trail_rider

Posted February 03, 2015 - 01:39 PM

The EXP 3.0 uses 2 less friction plates and  stronger pressure plate springs to make up for it. The clutch pull is close to normal but a little harder.

The Core EXP 3.0 keeps all of the clutch plates and has a normal feel

I think the V Start is being eliminated in favor of the Core

I've had Rekluse Pro's on all my bikes for the past 6 or 7 years.    I know have the Core Exp 3,0 on my ktm 300.    

You should get the core exp 3.0.  You will never know its there.  Ride like you don't have it   There is no weird feeling at the lever.   It doesn't generate any excessive heat  (Like the pro can do at times).  it also doesn't stall as easily as the pro model, nor does it slip under a heavy load.

Just ride like you don't have it and it will help you.  You will forget that its there.   

Its worth the extra money if you decide to get a rekluse

• Krannie McKranface

Posted February 03, 2015 - 02:37 PM

CORE EXP 3.0

Properly set up, it is invisible, until you need it.

• grayracer513

Posted February 04, 2015 - 04:02 PM

You asked the differences, and so far, no one has really touched on them.  Basically, the $900 Core EXP is a complete racing clutch for the bike.  It's deeper than the OEM clutch, which is why it needs the "bling" clutch cover.  Any cover like the GYT-R or Hinson would do, but Rekluse supplies it.  It is internally adjusted and has no odd free play gain issues to confuse you or require fiddling with very often.

The EXP 3.0 is a conversion kit for your OEM clutch, and you need to take out two frictions and a plain plate to fit it.  Its operating disengagement adjustment is set up with the existing cable, so the free travel changes as the clutch operates, none at idle, pretty normal above about 3000 RPM, when the clutch engages.

The Core EXP has a fairly normal clutch feel, the EXP 3.0 somewhat stiffer, and a little weird. 

• iggs

Posted February 04, 2015 - 07:36 PM

You asked the differences, and so far, no one has really touched on them. Basically, the $900 Core EXP is a complete racing clutch for the bike. It's deeper than the OEM clutch, which is why it needs the "bling" clutch cover. Any cover like the GYT-R or Hinson would do, but Rekluse supplies it. It is internally adjusted and has no odd free play gain issues to confuse you or require fiddling with very often.

The EXP 3.0 is a conversion kit for your OEM clutch, and you need to take out two frictions and a plain plate to fit it. Its operating disengagement adjustment is set up with the existing cable, so the free travel changes as the clutch operates, none at idle, pretty normal above about 3000 RPM, when the clutch engages.

The Core EXP has a fairly normal clutch feel, the EXP 3.0 somewhat stiffer, and a little weird.

That's a great answer to my question. It's filled in some blanks on my knowledge and I much better understand things now. I like long answers, thanks for taking the time

• cubera

Posted February 05, 2015 - 07:08 PM

A nice set-up on the WR is a Magura with GYTR basket, OEM hub, and GYTR pressure plate with all OEM drive plates, friction discs, and springs. This is the current configuration on the 450 and it's excellent. No drag, no fade, no adjusting, one or two finger pull and it's precise. Lock-up like affirmative engagement if you wish. The pull and control on the 250FX is the best OEM clutch I've ever used and it's cable actuated. I'm thinking of putting a Magura on it to shave some weight and never need to adjust.

I like all the Rekluse products also. Any of them would be money well spent. They can reduce fatigue, help you gain confidence in weird technical situations, improve reliability and durability, and allow you to concentrate on the ride and having fun. I don't run the Rekluse these days but there are times when I miss it.

Greyracer513 has aptly explained the differences. The Pro version is more complicated but also more versatile IME. The EXP is easier in install and tune but not as versatile/adjustable. I should mention another big deal about any of the Rekluse clutches is that you can get rid of the clutch lever completely and run the left hand rear brake (LHRB) lever instead....many riders with mtn biking backgrounds and hard core one trackers love this option. :ride:  :thumbsup:

• iggs

Posted February 08, 2015 - 07:12 PM

Ok, so just pressed the button on a Core EXP 3.0. I tend to buy well buy once.

I've also ordered a left hand rear brake.

I'm a long time mountain biker and much better on an mtb than on a dirt bike. I put this largely down to my braking on an mtb which is pretty damn good. I've never got to grips with the rear foot brake and this keeps causing me problems and getting me into trouble.

I'm questioning myself as to whether a technical solution is the right way to tackle a skill problem but the voice from my other shoulder is telling me it's adapting my bike to an existing developed skill set. Anyway we will see.

Thanks for the info folks, really is much appreciated by this newbie

• Krannie McKranface

Posted February 08, 2015 - 08:20 PM

The clutch will still work like stock, right down to just above idle.

So, as long as you are not in too high of a gear, you will never feel the auto-clutch.

It will deliver power in a more 'civlized' manner, if you use the stock weights and springs.

If you go with heavier weights and lighter springs, the power delivery is nearly the same as stock, but IT WON'T STALL! 

I have the CORE 3.0 on my CRF450R

I had the CORE 2.0 on my last 450R

I had the 2.0 EXP disc on my KX450F. Worked ok, but clutch was stiff, and delivery was inconsistent.

I tried the Dynaring clutch on my KX450 first.....what a POS. 

I have no Autoclutch on my WR.....with e-start, I don't see the need.

• iggs

Posted February 08, 2015 - 08:40 PM

Because the bike is to be set up as a rally bike and that means significantly heavier would different springs help or does it not matter

For rally riding it's about making the bike as easy and reliable to ride as possible

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.