Help with WR400 yz tank/weight reduction for light rider

6 replies to this topic
  • builtduramax36

Posted February 02, 2015 - 01:51 PM

I have a '99 WR 400 i use for mostly trail riding and hit the track every other ride. Im 6'0" 170 pound rider. Ive been searching all about the yz tank conversion but cant seem to find all the info. Does anyone know what all it takes to convert to a yz tank and seat set up?Probably going to buy a yz tank and seat off ebay. 

My second question is does anyone have trouble with running out of fuel? I ride about 70 miles of hard riding each time we go. Start about noon and ride till dark. 

Lastly, does anyone have a write up on how to delete the coolant tank under the left plate? I dont see a need for it since the YZ's dont. 

Im looking to lose as much weight as possible in order to make this bike more user friendly. Right now its a hog through the trials and the track will wear you out throwing this bike around corners. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

• Krannie McKranface

Posted February 02, 2015 - 02:04 PM

Use less fuel if you want less weight.

How are you going to convert to a smaller tank, if you are running out of fuel now?

• elrontx

Posted February 02, 2015 - 07:43 PM

you wont be able to do 70 miles without refueling. i got a YZ tank on mine. the longest ive went on a tank was 50 miles of mostly trails and i only had 0.2 gallons left when i hit the gas station.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • builtduramax36

Posted February 02, 2015 - 08:10 PM

I am not close to running out of fuel now, I cannot tell exactly how much i use because it is not a natural color tank. Does anyone know the cheapest place to buy tanks? I might try out one to see how it will work if the price is right

• elrontx

Posted February 02, 2015 - 08:28 PM

I am not close to running out of fuel now, I cannot tell exactly how much i use because it is not a natural color tank. Does anyone know the cheapest place to buy tanks? I might try out one to see how it will work if the price is right

i have a natural 2 gallon yz tank on my bike. how big is the stock one you have? id consider trading if its at least 2.5 gallons.

• Thommo_400f

Posted February 02, 2015 - 08:55 PM

To convert between the 2 versions you need the Tank/Seat/Shrouds.

Those together should just bolt on to equivalent year models.

Coolant tank isn't necessary. Just take it off and poke the tube down somewhere so if you do boil over it goes straight to ground and not onto you.

Note that there are some small tank versions of the wr400. Not sure if USA got both versions.

Australia had a "Big tank" and "Small tank version". 

• elrontx

Posted February 02, 2015 - 09:38 PM

i have the YZ seat on mine. i think the American version is 3.2 gallons but im not sure.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.