Can't tell piston wear by looking at the top, it's the sides that show the wear. From the top yours looks normal.

I pulled the piston and cylinder yesterday - I didn't get a good picture of the piston, I'll take another tonight.

Here's how the cylinder wall looks: (I don't have a telescoping gauge and mic to read it)

How do I clean all of this? Piston head, that top portion of the cylinder, and the gasket material on the surfaces.

VFjpUVGl.jpg

Edited by MSFIT

Buy a new piston and you won't have to clean the old one. Use a red scotchbrite pad and some Bon Ami cleanser in the cylinder, followed buy a hot water and Dawn wash, then wipe with a white rag and some auto trans fluid. If white rag is still white after wipe down, then cylinder is ready to go. The gasket surfaces use WD-40 and a scotchbrite pad. Send head to rebuilder of choice for new valves, and it will come back all clean and shiny. All of your parts in the pics look very typical.

• Like 2

Need a bore gauge, other wise if your cylinder is full of cross hatching would indicate little to no wear. you can also look at the ring end gap of new rings to confirm they are in spec. and if the ring end gap is in spec then the cylinder would have to be in spec too.

Edited by Spud786
  • Like 1

Buy a new piston and you won't have to clean the old one. Use a red scotchbrite pad and some Bon Ami cleanser in the cylinder, followed buy a hot water and Dawn wash, then wipe with a white rag and some auto trans fluid. If white rag is still white after wipe down, then cylinder is ready to go. The gasket surfaces use WD-40 and a scotchbrite pad. Send head to rebuilder of choice for new valves, and it will come back all clean and shiny. All of your parts in the pics look very typical.

Need a bore gauge, other wise if your cylinder is full of cross hatching would indicate little to no wear. you can also look at the ring end gap of new rings to confirm they are in spec. and if the ring end gap is in spec then the cylinder would have to be in spec too.

Great stuff, thanks.

To start with it'll be piston, rings, gaskets, and send the head out for new valves. 

• Like 1