07 WR450F GPRV4 Stabilizer Install Problem (Help!)

9 replies to this topic
  • SmackIt

Posted January 31, 2015 - 12:14 PM

I have a lot to do this weekend...

IMG_2326.jpg

The first thing I try to do is the GPRV4 Stabilizer Install. Should be a piece of cake, right?

IMG_2345.jpg

The flats on the pin are slightly off center.  Is that correct?  I guess it could be?

Put the ring on and it's not flush.

IMG_2329.jpg

There are two little post type protrusions on the cast steering column with two machined areas on the GPR ring.

Left Side Looks Good

IMG_2331.jpg

But right side is not...

IMG_2332.jpg

I assume squeezing the ring together will bring them closer, but the screw bottoms out and the ring can not be closed more.  Flaw or feature???  It looks to me like this hole was not completely tapped???

IMG_2336.jpg

I tried using a shorter screw so I could pinch the ring closer together, but the ring doesn't close enough to make a good fit on those posts.

Has anyone installed one of these and did you have a similar experience?  Of course it's saturday and GPR is closed, so I can't call and find out what the problem is.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted January 31, 2015 - 03:28 PM

Typical.

GPR is not all that precision in my experience. Mine had to be 'tweaked' to fit.

Filing the frame is common for a proper fit for GPR and Scotts anyway

Remember, it's not structructural, so you can modify it as long as it's on tight.

• KennyMc

Posted January 31, 2015 - 03:43 PM

As Bill said, just file the frame.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted January 31, 2015 - 09:55 PM

File it under " KTM EATER"

• KennyMc

Posted January 31, 2015 - 11:21 PM

Typical Yammi crap :-)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted February 01, 2015 - 09:45 PM

Typical Yammi. Beats the crap out of everything.... :-)

• KennyMc

Posted February 01, 2015 - 10:03 PM

Typical Yammi. Beats the crap out of everything.... :-)

Dooood, I LOVE the 300.  Sooooo much fun, right up to the point I went through the bush and got separated from it and twisted my knee :cry:  :cry:

• Krannie McKranface

Posted February 02, 2015 - 06:13 AM

Dooood, I LOVE the 300.  Sooooo much fun, right up to the point I went through the bush and got separated from it and twisted my knee :cry:  :cry:

So, you are saying that it's sooo good that it won't turn and avoid trees?

• KennyMc

Posted February 02, 2015 - 07:05 AM

So, you are saying that it's sooo good that it won't turn and avoid trees?

The decision was go into a rain rutted trail or a bush. Split decision. As a man, I always chose bush. ;)

This bush ate me alive :shocked:

Further details on riding area specifics are classified and are on a need to know basis :devil:

• bobpara

Posted February 02, 2015 - 07:32 AM

I just put a Scotts on mine recently, very similar

1) Definitely grind the frame so that ring sits on there nicely. A file is OK, but a dremel will work nice for the finnish work

The carbide 'tile cutting' bit works really good on metal, for finnisgh work use a coarse grit sanding drum

IT IS ESSENTIAL TO REMOVE 100% OF THAT BUMP OR THE CLAMP WILL NOT HOLD TIGHT

2) As far as that flat goes, rotate it. Work holding is essential to success. A pair of wood blocks in a vice to hold the clamp

Get a wrench that matches the flats and gently rotate. If it is loose in any way afterward you will need to press it out .

'scar' the shaft with a diamond file or something to make shaft 'fatter' and re-press. In addition poss use some forever loctite

Another possibility is just simply return to them and get one that is right

Good eye. Both of those are important

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.