How should I rebuild my WR400.. Or should i scrap it..

25 replies to this topic
  • fdme

Posted April 05, 2015 - 03:05 PM

I hope your rebuild works out for you! I dumped a bit more money into my wr400 than I would've liked just to do the top end, if I personally have to do the bottom end I will cut my losses and sell the bike as is at that time. I don't think these old bikes are usually worth dumping that much coin into, not saying there is anything wrong with it though. And you will have the piece of mind knowing more what's been done to it.

• AUSmoker

Posted April 09, 2015 - 07:26 AM

Good thing you didn't buy that other one mate, sounds like it had issues. You in aussie? I just brought a wr400f 2000 model, it pulls 3rd gear wheelies on throttle so id go with the rebuild, keep posting if you can im keen to see what you do with the 426 stuff
Cheers

Yes I will keep posting, like to hear everyone's opinion and help.

I flaked and decided not to get it ported and polished, it was going to be alot of $$$ and will hold up the build, its been ages already but all the parts should be here in about 10 days, then only a couple days to get my mechanic to bolt it up.

Yes I am in Oz, but getting just about everything from the US. Worked out alot cheaper when it came to oem parts.

As far as wheelies, its hard to determine the bikes power, its all in the gearing (plus skill, but I talk throttle only in this case). Stock gearing is 14/50 I think. I have purchased 14,15 and a 47. I want to sit on 100k for some stretchess without it reving high. I may even go 16 front. Id like to be able to swap from a 16 to 13 or so for local street riding. Going to be a bit of trial and error, I want to be able to use the same chain lenght but have one setup for the high speed roads, and the other for wheelie factor.

I have used that port and polish money to swap to a high compression piston, new grips, bars, throttle tube and throttle cable, sprockets, yz rear fender and looking for a tail tidy kit. I also ordered all the transmission bearings for piece of mind. Bottom end should be solid, can always get head work done later.

Once its up and running well I may get a SM wheelset that I can just swap out.

I know its an old bike, yes I could have got a newer model, yes I could buy another dud.

Honestly modding the bike has been fun deciding what I want, so long as everything fits and works i will be happy.

Luckily I got around half the total of the build payed for by someone else, that allowed me to do ot, otherwise I would not have.

At the end of the day its a fresh HC 444cc with mods, and allows me to make further changes which im loving doing.

• AUSmoker

Posted April 09, 2015 - 07:33 AM

I hope your rebuild works out for you! I dumped a bit more money into my wr400 than I would've liked just to do the top end, if I personally have to do the bottom end I will cut my losses and sell the bike as is at that time. I don't think these old bikes are usually worth dumping that much coin into, not saying there is anything wrong with it though. And you will have the piece of mind knowing more what's been done to it.

If I didn't get pressured into getting it fixed, and received some financial aid, it would have been sold.

Im at the point of not even worrying about the costs, just blinded by the light at the end of the tunnel.

Im happy now, and when its going i will be fughcing stocked!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Jedmeister

Posted April 09, 2015 - 05:12 PM

Hey AUSmoker,

Just thought i'd weigh in with my own experiences.

Firstly I just want to say, lets face it, if you're at the pointy end of top level competition, then the latest, greatest, lightest, most powerful, best suspended bike that money can buy might be worth it.  For most of us it's just wank factor and all the talk about it gives me the shits. 

I've got a WR400 that I rebuilt myself last year to 426 specs (parts from the states/ was cheaper to rebuild as 426 than 400).  I rode it in the Finke enduro last year without a steering damper or steg pegs and finished in front of more than 200 blokes that all had newer/faster/lighter/more powerful bikes.

I think you've made the right decision to rebuild.  I weighed up the exact same options and given that even though the bike is 15 years old it still has WAY more potential than I could ever make use of in the bush, decided it was better to spend $1500 on parts and have a new engine, rather than sell it for peanuts and buy something else with all sorts of potential problems.  (my rebuild came out of 4th pinion gear shedding it's teeth!)

I broke my engine in out at Finke, ride in the bush once or twice a month and have done about 6000k's in motard trim riding to and from work and my old girl hasn't missed a beat.

I look forward to hearing about how the rebuild goes, best of luck to you mate.

Cheers, Jed

Also, while the carb is off, inspect the little plate on the throttle slide for cracks.  Mine broke a corner off and it went through the engine at high speed.  No valve and little piston/cylinder damage done! Very lucky!

• fdme

Posted April 24, 2015 - 10:15 PM

Since you are going through with the rebuild I'll add something else I've discovered since owning mine. I will say the best mod I've done to mine is to replace the old carb with a later model 450 carb. The one I went with is off an 07 yz450 I believe you can also use the wr450 carb, even going from a 426 carb the difference is night and day. Even when it's not jetted properly it ran tons better than my old 426 carb jetted to a T. Best part is the 450 carbs can be had on eBay for 50$ and up if you find a good deal. (Oh yeah you also need the throttle cable for a 450)

Anyways I'll stop rambling :D

• AUSmoker

Posted April 30, 2015 - 04:32 AM

I finally received all my parts and gave them to my mechanic. It should be all put together within a week.

The upgraded carby can be the next stage. I think going the bigger displacement and higher compression will get me going again. Its easy to get to the carb, and I may consider a port and polish, different header and exhaust at a later date. For now I think I have a good base to work with.

Currently looking at motard rims but most likely just ride it as is for a while.

Its been so long since its been riden, im so excited to get back on it. Should feel like a completely different bike. I upped the gearing for street and hope i can power wheelie 2nd anytime and hopefully get it up in 3rd, then id be over the moon.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.