Front sprocket confusion...

2 replies to this topic
  • Ron Roberts

Posted January 30, 2015 - 06:04 AM

I ordered an Iron Man front sprocket.  It just showed up yesterday and I have had my stock sprocket off for a week or so.  Anyway, I noticed it is carved out on one side and perfectly flat on the other.  I examined the stocker and it is the same way.  Now im confused on which way it goes on.  does the flat side face the outside or in toward the motor...or does it even matter?

Thanks

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • indy rider

Posted January 30, 2015 - 06:27 AM

On my 07' the carved out side goes toward the motor.

• grayracer513

Posted January 30, 2015 - 07:33 AM

The undercut side does in fact face the engine.  It's like that because on some earlier models, the output shaft seal dust shield (the sheet metal covering the seal) extends beyond the collar that the sprocket clamps against, and if not for the undercut, tightening the sprocket down would bind up the transmission.  A lot of the later models have the cover trimmed back a bit, and now run sprockets that are flat on both sides.  The splines haven't changed, so to simplify inventory, some aftermarket vendors make only the version with the undercut. 

You can tell immediately whether yours needs the sprocket oriented with the cutout in the back by putting it on the other way, running the nut down snug, and see if you can turn the sprocket by hand in neutral. 

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.