Yz450f cam caps

5 replies to this topic
  • Samcwach

Posted January 29, 2015 - 05:59 PM

Ok, so I was adjusting the valves on my 2009 yz450f and I accidentally torqued the exhaust cam cap on unevenly, causing it to crack. Thank god I noticed before I ran the engine. Well I've been looking everywhere for one, and I can't find one for my model year. My question is are cam caps from other years interchangabe? Also are yfz450 cam caps interchangeable? I'm thinking that as long as exhaust cam is the same then they should be interchangable? I'd also be interested in buying a cam cap if you've got one, so let me know. Thanks a lot guys.

• x_JT_x

Posted January 29, 2015 - 06:11 PM

Ok, so I was adjusting the valves on my 2009 yz450f and I accidentally torqued the exhaust cam cap on unevenly, causing it to crack. Thank god I noticed before I ran the engine. Well I've been looking everywhere for one, and I can't find one for my model year. My question is are cam caps from other years interchangabe? Also are yfz450 cam caps interchangeable? I'm thinking that as long as exhaust cam is the same then they should be interchangable? I'd also be interested in buying a cam cap if you've got one, so let me know. Thanks a lot guys.

No, it's not interchangeable. Best bet that was a $200 mistake, if you are very lucky. It's a matched set to the head. It's possible to get that one repaired depending on where it's broken, or, your other option is to buy a used cap, and send it and the head to engine dynamics (or another shop like it, I just like engine dynamics, very well known) to have it machined to fit, and re line bored.

Could cost around $400 depending on new parts cost, and what the labor will be. Do NOT attempt to buy a new one and bolt it on, you will find yourself in a bad situation pretty quickly.

• stainless601

Posted January 29, 2015 - 06:52 PM

Correct in saying the cam caps are mached to the head. However I have exchanged camshafts as well as cam caps from one head to another without incident. Wise to use plastic Gague to ensure proper clearance. If the used cap has oil clearance in spec there is no reason for line bore.
I've got used cap if you need it PM me.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Samcwach

Posted January 29, 2015 - 06:58 PM

I forgot to mention that my dad is a certified auto technician so polishing the cap so it fits the cam bearing correctly won't be a problem.

• grayracer513

Posted January 29, 2015 - 08:05 PM

...I have exchanged camshafts as well as cam caps from one head to another without incident.

Lucky you.  I have to seriously advise against any such undertaking without at least checking the line bore.  Camshaft clearance on a YZ450 can be as little as .0011" when they are built new.  While you're running the PlastiGage, check the clearance across the joint between cap and head. 

• stainless601

Posted January 30, 2015 - 01:32 PM

I tried to PM you, your blocked. I can't text crap phone. Ipad I've got won't message so I guess you run an android. Contact me I've got loads of Yamaha 450 parts new and used.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.