(TPS) Throttle Position Sensor Question

8 replies to this topic
  • bobpara

Posted January 28, 2015 - 12:47 PM

When I take my bike out on a fast road or even a hiway the engine speed surges up and down a bit.

Not alot, but enough to irritate my sense of perfection

Someone said the TPS was causing this an the simplest way to fix was to just simply unplug it.....and it seems to work

Why does this TPS exist in a non-FI engine? What does it do?

or, more simply stated, what will I be giving up? Will the bike be slower?

• Krannie McKranface

Posted January 28, 2015 - 03:42 PM

TPS:

Throttle

Position

Sensor

Your ECU has ignition maps:

Closed throttle (big ignition advance)

Partially open (medium advance)

Open (slight advance)

The TPS is there to match the throttle position with the correct ignition map, for max power and no detonation (too much advance).

The problem is the ECU: it 'waffles' between map one and map two, crating a feeling of 'studder' in the power, at partial throttle.

Unplugging the TPS puts you into map three, which has less advance, making the throttle a bit more sluggish feeling.

The only true solution is to install a Dynatek replacement ECU.

• Geoffit

Posted January 29, 2015 - 06:43 PM

There is no harm in running the tps unplugged. Personaly Since 2004 I have not come across a carbed. Yzf that has not run better with the tps unplugged. Sometimes the only difference is backfire on decel being less. For sure the part throttle surge on 450's is better with out it.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted January 29, 2015 - 08:18 PM

If a YZ runs better with the TPS unplugged, something is wrong.

If a WR runs better with the TPS unplugged, something is wrong, but it does nearly eliminate the studder.

The YZ's #1 and 2 map is much more agressive than the WR's, and that's why when you unplug the TPS on the WR, if the jetting is off a little bit, you don't notice it much anyway.

...but if it's jetted well and properly un-corked, it feels like someone stuck a tampon in your exhaust....

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bobpara

Posted February 04, 2015 - 07:35 AM

Kah Rah Nee: I looked at Dynatek's website and the closest I can find is a YZ450F going back to 2010 (I have an '06 WR450)

Once I find the right part, it looks like there are lots of maps and a bunch of stuff to sort out

Do you connect it to a PC to set all the settings you want?

Sound like you could toast the engine if you set up the wrong maps

For $400 I'd want it to work!

• stevethe

Posted February 04, 2015 - 08:03 AM

You might have to buy a 07-11 WR450. A YZ Dynatec won't work on a WR.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted February 04, 2015 - 07:46 PM

Kah Rah Nee: I looked at Dynatek's website and the closest I can find is a YZ450F going back to 2010 (I have an '06 WR450)

Once I find the right part, it looks like there are lots of maps and a bunch of stuff to sort out

Do you connect it to a PC to set all the settings you want?

Sound like you could toast the engine if you set up the wrong maps

For $400 I'd want it to work!

All programmable ignition systems, are variable.

Impossible to 'toast' the engine unless you creat your own map, or modify and existing map to the extreme....and even then, it would detonate loudly to let you know.

I comes with (4) maps built in.

You use map 3 for best results.

All WR mapping is the same from 2007 to 2011.

The 2006 is nearly the same.

If you bike is not finely tuned already (spot on jetting, properly set up apump, correctly set tps, fresh plug, perfect grounds, new ground wire to starter mount, etc), then you should do those first.

DFS7-23P WR450F 2007-2011 $379.99

• Mbiker_101

Posted February 04, 2015 - 09:37 PM

I put an inline switch on the tps so if I know I'm going to do much road traveling I turn off tps. It's turned on for offroad. Keep in mind the bike has to be completely shutoff for the switch to work. And yes, turned off you lose low end grunt, on and it has the low end grunt back.

• bobpara

Posted February 05, 2015 - 06:23 AM

Not a bad idea Mbiker_101, a switch!

I was going to unplug it and plug it back in.....but that could get tiring

When I go dirt riding, I go dirt riding.

When I ride on road, before I even start the bike I know its going to be a road ride

Worst case for those 1% of times I can stop the bike and switch it over

A $4 switch vs a $400 module, I may try that first

The bike runs great, its just that stammering on the hiway that bothers me.

Even on side roads the stammer is not that bad

Its just a moderate to high and constant throttle position that does it

About the only time I ride on the Hiway is when I go to work 3 exits down the hiway

If It still bugs me, I know that I have the Dynatek module option

Thanks for all the input!!!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.