2007––> AIS Removal Issue (parts)

8 replies to this topic
  • SmackIt

Posted January 27, 2015 - 04:36 PM

I hate being the guy to beat a dead horse, but I keep pulling up information for the pre 2007 models and I'm not happy with what I'm finding for 2007 onward.

If you remove the AIS, you end up with 3 holes that need to be plugged.

#1 Is on the engine.  So you need a block off plate.

#2 Is a little nipple, also on the engine.  Any automotive store has caps for that.

#3 Is at a 3 way junction of breather hoses, automotive store has caps for that.

A trip to most any automotive store and $5.00 solves #2 & #3. (and you still have a bunch of extra caps).

The only block off plates I can find are part of expensive 30/40/50 dollar kits.  &%$#@!?  Doesn't anyone sell just a cheap block off plate?

• jimmym

Posted January 27, 2015 - 05:48 PM

Like you, I searched around for an alternative way to block the ais hole. I finally realized that I was wasting time and money, and that $50 is quite cheap to unleash the monster waiting to get out of this motor. I just wish other mods I've made were this inexpensive.

• SmackIt

Posted February 08, 2015 - 08:21 PM

I don't think you get any performance gains from a $50 AIS kit . From what I understand, it just gets rid of some popping on deceleration.

Made my own block off plate. 20 cents worth of aluminum and 20 cents worth of rubber plugs from AutoZone.

IMG_2359.jpg

Next time I'm in China I will see if I can pick up some plates for 25 cents each. Amazing that people are willing to pay more than a couple bucks.

Edited by SmackIt, February 08, 2015 - 08:23 PM.

• jimmym

Posted February 13, 2015 - 03:49 PM

In addition to the plate and plugs, the AIS kit also comes with a jet, new needle, and a shortened throttle stop screw. You may be able to get the individual parts cheaper, but the kit made it nice, especially since this was my first attempt and I wasn't sure what was needed for the complete project.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • stevethe

Posted February 13, 2015 - 05:01 PM

Buy the GYTR kit it has the instructions and the right jets. You cannot buy the new unrestricted GYTR carb needle by itself. However you can buy another jetting kit but why.

• SmackIt

Posted February 14, 2015 - 06:51 AM

Good points jimmym & stevethe, but in my case, my bike already had the shortened throttle stop screw and my house is at 5000', with most riding I do between 6000'~ 8500'.  I checked the jetting thread here, and it doesn't look like any of the jets in the GYTR kit would be useful for me.  There seems to be quite a few conflicting views (surprise surprise on a forum) about the jets that come in the kit.  There's also a serious lack of clarity over performance benefits and satisfaction between pre 2007 & post 2007 models with kits.  In my case, I really only needed the AIS portion of the kit, and $50+ for $5 worth of parts seemed a bit ridiculous.

I would be interested in seeing some data on elevation specific applications of the GYTR kit directly related to 2007--> models if you guys have some info.

I'm putting a lot into this bike, as you can see in the attached photo, and it's more about getting the right components than saving $40~$50.

IMG_2326.jpg

• RMK800

Posted February 14, 2015 - 07:54 AM

You should not put on that ugly outdated white front finder. Get the YZ Finder and do a little modification, looks so much better!

• RMK800

Posted February 14, 2015 - 07:58 AM

You should not put on that ugly outdated white front finder. Get the YZ Finder and do a little modification, looks so much better!

Like thisImageUploadedByThumper Talk1423929501.533155.jpg

• stevethe

Posted February 16, 2015 - 02:22 PM

Good points jimmym & stevethe, but in my case, my bike already had the shortened throttle stop screw and my house is at 5000', with most riding I do between 6000'~ 8500'.  I checked the jetting thread here, and it doesn't look like any of the jets in the GYTR kit would be useful for me.  There seems to be quite a few conflicting views (surprise surprise on a forum) about the jets that come in the kit.  There's also a serious lack of clarity over performance benefits and satisfaction between pre 2007 & post 2007 models with kits.  In my case, I really only needed the AIS portion of the kit, and $50+ for $5 worth of parts seemed a bit ridiculous.

I would be interested in seeing some data on elevation specific applications of the GYTR kit directly related to 2007--> models if you guys have some info.

I'm putting a lot into this bike, as you can see in the attached photo, and it's more about getting the right components than saving $40~$50.

IMG_2326.jpg

Your going to need to replace the stock needle with another. My GYTR needle worked at high altitude or get the JD needles or jet kit.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.