High comp or no

4 replies to this topic
  • Yzrider1023

Posted January 26, 2015 - 08:38 PM

My 2006 yz450f has a high comp piston in it ever since I bought it and it feels like there's no rev limiter and I can't be in a tall gear going slow or the chain will slap everywhere do you guys think that it's the high comp piston doing this or something else?

• jrice2012

Posted January 27, 2015 - 11:28 AM

Chain needs to be tightened.. As far as the limiter question I have no idea. My 08 also slaps if it is too loose in the slightest

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted January 27, 2015 - 11:53 AM

The chain slap is normal, DO NOT tighten the chain beyond the minimum limit in the manual, or you will risk breaking the chain and/or the rear hub, which you will not enjoy.

High compression tends to bring about the greatest power increases at low engine speeds, rather than high, and can even restrict the engine's ability to run to the top of its rev range.  The '06 is not particularly fond of running much past 10,500 because the power falls off pretty sharply after that.  With the rev limit set at 11,500, you'll rarely run into it except in low gear. 

• Yzrider1023

Posted January 27, 2015 - 07:40 PM

The chain slap is normal, DO NOT tighten the chain beyond the minimum limit in the manual, or you will risk breaking the chain and/or the rear hub, which you will not enjoy.

High compression tends to bring about the greatest power increases at low engine speeds, rather than high, and can even restrict the engine's ability to run to the top of its rev range. The '06 is not particularly fond of running much past 10,500 because the power falls off pretty sharply after that. With the rev limit set at 11,500, you'll rarely run into it except in low gear.

Do you think I should swap it out since I rarely ride trail and I mostly ride track

• mikedabike

Posted February 02, 2015 - 09:48 PM

It doesnt make that much difference. If your bike is exhibiting bad behavior at low speeds such as chain slap etc I would look at gearing before I worried about the small difference a hc piston makes.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.