how many hours on a piston 09 yz 450

18 replies to this topic
  • roosted1

Posted January 26, 2015 - 02:20 AM

hi , I have recently purchased a 09 yz 450 , has now 73 hrs on it since new and has never been apart . to me it sounds very noisey like it might be due for a piston ,and it is noiser than other bikes I have heard  . how may hours roughly should you get out of one of these bikes  piston before it needs changing ?

this is my first 450 had 2 strokes before this one

• grayracer513

Posted January 26, 2015 - 07:36 AM

It depends on how you ride it, and on how you maintain it.  I changed mine out at right around 300 hours of desert racing and recreational riding.  The only way to really know one way or other is to pull it apart and look.

• roosted1

Posted January 26, 2015 - 12:11 PM

ok thanks grey , bike has been very well looked after and maintained , very fussy owner , bike was used for enduro style racing here in Australia , 300 hrs is a lot more than mine has done
mine also has a after market bash plate which could be radiating a bit more noise too ,

• Thommo_400f

Posted January 26, 2015 - 04:43 PM

Might be chain slap.... has tricked me before!

• roosted1

Posted January 26, 2015 - 11:04 PM

nah , its when its just sitting there idling

• x_JT_x

Posted January 26, 2015 - 11:06 PM

nah , its when its just sitting there idling

Yes, it might be chain slap. Cam chain slap. Which is very noticeable on idling bikes

• roosted1

Posted January 27, 2015 - 02:52 AM

yep I'm an idiot ! :rolleyes:  sounds more solid than a cam chain rattle , sure its piston slap , its a lot louder engine noise than my friends 06 rmz 450  

so perhaps I should be asking is there a recommended time to pull down and check things ?  50 hrs ? 100hrs ?

• cowboyona426

Posted January 27, 2015 - 08:09 AM

Do you have an aluminum skid plate on that bike?

• jrice2012

Posted January 27, 2015 - 09:17 AM

yep I'm an idiot ! :rolleyes: sounds more solid than a cam chain rattle , sure its piston slap , its a lot louder engine noise than my friends 06 rmz 450
so perhaps I should be asking is there a recommended time to pull down and check things ? 50 hrs ? 100hrs ?

Pull the clutch in... My transmission makes a loud noise. Pretty sure all these bikes do. At 75 hours If you haven't abused it it should be fine. Pull the clutch in at neutral and see if it still makes it

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • roosted1

Posted January 27, 2015 - 12:16 PM

Do you have an aluminum skid plate on that bike?

yeah it has , its not a huge one just a bit bigger than std. I will remove it and have a listen . I have a B & B skid plate on my drz 400 and that makes a huge difference to the engine noise

• n16ht5

Posted January 27, 2015 - 01:37 PM

yeah it has , its not a huge one just a bit bigger than std. I will remove it and have a listen . I have a B & B skid plate on my drz 400 and that makes a huge difference to the engine noido a leakdown test

Do a leakdown test

• grayracer513

Posted January 27, 2015 - 04:19 PM

Unfortunately, leak down tests don't really say too much about the piston itself.  The rings may seal pretty well in spite of the fact that the piston is perhaps even dangerously worn.  This was somewhat the case with my own '06.  Ran fine, good compression, and not even any unusual noise, but the piston was actually a bit overdue for replacement, going by the wear I found. 

The other earlier point about the gearbox rattle is quite valid.  Read: http://www.thumperta...e/#entry4444207

• Thommo_400f

Posted January 27, 2015 - 04:26 PM

My Piston is being done as we speak... 150hrs

Was starting to seem noisy.

Slightly down on compression.

Piston was showing wear on sides and rings were very worn (probably making the piston wobble).

Caught it before any marks or wear on bore.

$700 for piston/rings/gaskets and labour.

I say if you are concerned...do it and then ride happy.

• x_JT_x

Posted January 27, 2015 - 05:38 PM

My Piston is being done as we speak... 150hrs
Was starting to seem noisy.
Slightly down on compression.
Piston was showing wear on sides and rings were very worn (probably making the piston wobble).
Caught it before any marks or wear on bore.
$700 for piston/rings/gaskets and labour.
I say if you are concerned...do it and then ride happy.

That's a $200 Job if you do it yourself.. Would probably take you 3 hours your first try and then 1 and a half the second try. I don't know about you but I sure won't pay hundreds per hour for work..

• Yzrider1023

Posted January 27, 2015 - 08:34 PM

Yamaha's are generally noisier bikes in my experience but by now it might be due for atleast a partial top end piston,rings,head gasket

• roosted1

Posted April 25, 2015 - 04:07 PM

Pull the clutch in... My transmission makes a loud noise. Pretty sure all these bikes do. At 75 hours If you haven't abused it it should be fine. Pull the clutch in at neutral and see if it still makes it

Have tried this and it's much quieter with the clutch in ,almost to the stage where I'm thinking something in the clutch might be loose .might pull the clutch cover and have a look

• jrice2012

Posted April 25, 2015 - 04:09 PM

Have tried this and it's much quieter with the clutch in ,almost to the stage where I'm thinking something in the clutch might be loose .might pull the clutch cover and have a look

The tranny is just noisy man. It drives me crazy. But every single yzf I've ridden of that generation has the same rattle noise

• Limagrunt0331

Posted May 04, 2015 - 11:23 PM

The tranny is just noisy man. It drives me crazy. But every single yzf I've ridden of that generation has the same rattle noise

Would you expect to hear this on a new 15 YZ250f? This is literally keeping me up at night. Lol.

• jrice2012

Posted May 05, 2015 - 08:06 AM

Would you expect to hear this on a new 15 YZ250f? This is literally keeping me up at night. Lol.

Ahhh. No idea man. Haha I haven't noticed anything out of my buddies 15 though

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.