'09 YZ450F questions

4 replies to this topic
  • rcvxl14

Posted January 25, 2015 - 01:26 PM

Hey guys, first time Yamaha owner here. Just picked up a basket case 2009 YZ450F that needs engine work. Long story short I want to hone out some light scoring in the oem cylinder it came with, but I'm not sure if these bikes come with Nykasil-plated cylinders or not. Anyone know if they are? If so, how should I go about honing out the light scoring?

Also, I am in need of a place that can install new valve seats in my head. Any favorites that you guys have? I've never sent any heads off so I'm not familiar with who does good work and who doesn't.

Thanks!

• grayracer513

Posted January 25, 2015 - 06:12 PM

Yes, they are plated with Nikasil.  Read: http://www.thumperta...d/#entry3565759

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rcvxl14

Posted January 25, 2015 - 08:42 PM

Yes, they are plated with Nikasil.  Read: http://www.thumperta...d/#entry3565759

Thanks for the response!

I'm looking at the brush research flex-hones on amazon right now.  I need a 4 1/8" hone, correct? And what grit do you recommend for removing light score marks? (deep enough to catch your fingernail) 

• grayracer513

Posted January 26, 2015 - 07:23 AM

I need a 4 1/8" hone, correct? And what grit do you recommend for removing light score marks? (deep enough to catch your fingernail)

No, you need the 95mm (3 3/4") hone.  Brush Research hones are sized by the bore they are intended to be used in, not by their own actual diameter.  The 95mm hone is intended to be used in a 95mm bore.  The 4 1/8" is way too big.

Use silicon carbide or aluminum oxide in 240 or 320 grit, but if the scratches don't disappear in under 15 seconds of tool time in bore, you should plan on either running it that way or replacing the cylinder

• rcvxl14

Posted January 26, 2015 - 07:37 AM

No, you need the 95mm (3 3/4") hone.  Brush Research hones are sized by the bore they are intended to be used in, not by their own actual diameter.  The 95mm hone is intended to be used in a 95mm bore.  The 4 1/8" is way too big.

Use silicon carbide or aluminum oxide in 240 or 320 grit, but if the scratches don't disappear in under 15 seconds of tool time in bore, you should plan on either running it that way or replacing the cylinder

Gotcha, that makes sense. And I don't race or anything, I just want to get it running.  I'll be putting a brand new piston and rings in too so I'm not to concerned with it being perfect.  

Thanks again

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.