brand new 2015 yz450

23 replies to this topic
  • 15thumper

Posted January 25, 2015 - 01:18 PM

so yesterday I  bought a new 2015 yz450 and I didn't really look at it much at the store since I had my kid with me and didn't think I needed to look it over much. so I get it home and see the both rotors sprockets chain and various fasteners have rust on them, the rotors have a lot. so has anyone had same issues before? the shop is closed until Tuesday but im pissed and fully expect to be taking the bike back

Attached Thumbnails

• yz.jpg
  • 10920956_517453645062651_7365595442807954471_n.jpg

• YzCas

Posted January 25, 2015 - 01:24 PM

For the money we pay for these bikes you'd think they would have cleaned that bike like a pearl. I totally agree with you I would take it back to. Eighther way around it you bought a great bike congratulations.

Edited by cas747, January 25, 2015 - 01:26 PM.

• rojapar

Posted January 25, 2015 - 01:35 PM

Wont hurt a thing.  First time it gets wet and you let it sit, it will get surface rust. it will not affect its performance.

• IntoTheVoid

Posted January 25, 2015 - 01:36 PM

Wow, i cant beleive that shit. Someone had to wash the bike and didnt dry it properly or wd40 it to displace some water. I would rip them a new one. It looks like the shop took it out for break-in procedure and quickly washed it before selling it. Unreal man. Other than that, enjoy the bike. Cant go wrong with yamaha, 2 or 4 stroke. G

• Ron Roberts

Posted January 25, 2015 - 01:41 PM

Take it back.  The bike is ruined!

• LSHD

Posted January 25, 2015 - 01:41 PM

I wouldn't worry one bit about it. Maybe mention it, but certainly wouldn't take it back. But that's me. It won't make a bit of difference in the long run. Looks like surface rust, but that's as best I can tell from photos.

• dan2581

Posted January 25, 2015 - 01:56 PM

Like everyone else said it wont hurt anything, but buying a new bike i'd expect it to be rust free and look brand new. Personally i'd take it back if I could get a replacement in time to go riding next weekend. Otherwise i'd just ride it as is cause I'm impatient!

• drtrcr400

Posted January 25, 2015 - 05:11 PM

Wow, i cant beleive that shit. Someone had to wash the bike and didnt dry it properly or wd40 it to displace some water. I would rip them a new one. It looks like the shop took it out for break-in procedure and quickly washed it before selling it. Unreal man. Other than that, enjoy the bike. Cant go wrong with yamaha, 2 or 4 stroke. G

I'd be more upset if someone sprayed wd-40 on my brake rotors.

• drtrcr400

Posted January 25, 2015 - 05:18 PM

It's a dirt bike. The first time you use it as such it's going to look worse. I understand you just dropped some coin on it but this seems silly to me.

• IntoTheVoid

Posted January 25, 2015 - 05:42 PM

I'd be more upset if someone sprayed wd-40 on my brake rotors.

Haha, yeah only made that mistake once, but i should of said was wd40 on the sprocket and anything else that needed it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dexter42

Posted January 25, 2015 - 06:34 PM

Scotchbrite the disk and get a new chain, stock chains are junk. Problem solved.

Edited by Dexter42, January 26, 2015 - 08:22 AM.

• Bremer120

Posted January 25, 2015 - 07:26 PM

It's a dirt bike. The first time you use it as such it's going to look worse. I understand you just dropped some coin on it but this seems silly to me.

See I can agree with this a little. Yes any dirt bike is going to experience wear and damage while "in use." But, you don't go to the dealership and buy a new car with key marks and dents in it (although a majority of cars experience damage in their lifetime). I think if you purchase something new it should be just that, new. Light rust on the inside cutouts of your brake rotor to me is nothing and probably unavoidable with moisture in the air. Rust on your chain and sprockets is unacceptable considering they should be well lubed.

• 15thumper

Posted January 25, 2015 - 08:35 PM

So to all the guys who think this isnt a big deal, im betting you've never walked in to a bike shop with 10k and bought a bike, none of my bikes even after riding them dor years has rust on them. Will it effect performance no, but if I wanted rusty parts I could have bought used off of cl so all you clowns who seem to think rust us normal on a bike I'd hate to see what you ride, I've been riding since 1980 in Washington with nasty mud rain clay and I care for my bikes and they NEVER HAVE RUST on foot pegs chain sprocket or rotors.

• Dune Ready

Posted January 25, 2015 - 09:20 PM

My question is to you 15thumper, why would you post something if you did not want people's opinions?  And second, why would you call people clowns for stating their thoughts?  And YES I personally have paid "10K" for a new bike off the show room floor, for my 2013, and yes it did have rust on it just like yours.  I was not very impressed, but I dealt with it.  I would not blame you for taking it back, however, don't be pissy with people when they give their two cents when you post something on a forum!

• 15thumper

Posted January 26, 2015 - 05:49 AM

I have no issue with opinions, its the smartass comments people think because it says im a newbie here that I'm new to riding, but I've been a member for 7 years and I'm not new to riding, my question was simply has anyone ever bought a new bike with RUST all over it.

• jmack

Posted January 26, 2015 - 06:56 AM

so yesterday I  bought a new 2015 yz450 and I didn't really look at it much at the store since I had my kid with me and didn't think I needed to look it over much. so I get it home and see the both rotors sprockets chain and various fasteners have rust on them, the rotors have a lot. so has anyone had same issues before? the shop is closed until Tuesday but im pissed and fully expect to be taking the bike back

Yes, my new 2014 had rusting in the same areas as the pictures you posted. I only paid $6,600, so I it didn't bother me.

• YamaLink

Posted January 26, 2015 - 08:09 AM

What really torques a rider is finding out the bearings are bone dry from the factory. And not to be a smartass because you don't deserve smartass comments, but we've all been too excited and raced out of dealership and not noticing these sort of things. I bet they are understanding and tell you to bring it back if it has not been ridden. Best of luck.

• 15thumper

Posted January 26, 2015 - 11:05 AM

Yeah I fully expect to tear it down and grease all bearings, isnt it funny how they charge 590 set up fee when all they do is mount front fender and rim

• GHILL28

Posted January 26, 2015 - 11:22 AM

#1 - Refuse to pay the setup fee.  They take 15 minutes to set up out of a crate to throw on forks, bars, and wheels, and their shop rate is ~$80/hour.

#2 - Remove swingarm, shock, wheels, and triples before you even ride it and grease EVERYTHING.  It will be dry as a popcorn fart, trust me.

• 15thumper

Posted January 26, 2015 - 12:36 PM

I've always found my popcorn farts to be a little wet, but I do use alot of butter

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.