Need Help With SidePlate Backgrounds

13 replies to this topic
  • ThomasYZ426F

Posted February 06, 2002 - 03:15 AM

I had my dealer order a set of Ceet backgrounds for my 01 426F.

I got them yesterday and started with the front number plate...went on like a dream.

After a few hours of making Howard Stern blush, I'm stuck. How do you guys install the side plate backgrounds (I give up)?

My Kids thank you
My Wife thanks you
My Neighbors thank you

• Thumpedout

Posted February 06, 2002 - 03:47 AM

I put them in the oven for a few min when it gets warm its much easyer to work with. START IN THE CENTER!!! :)

• Odie

Posted February 06, 2002 - 04:12 AM

Those side panels are tough. Just have patience, patience and more patience. And bring some beers - you'll need them.

Heat them up with a hair dryer (makes them more pliable), spray panel with windex, start in the center and work your way out squegeeing out the windex.

Oh yeah, you might want to close the garage door so your family doesn't hear all the colorful language. :)

[ February 06, 2002: Message edited by: Odie ]

• RacerX

Posted February 06, 2002 - 05:41 AM

Odie has the right procedure!

• ThomasYZ426F

Posted February 06, 2002 - 05:45 AM

Have any of you ever tried painting your plastic?

• SMP

Posted February 06, 2002 - 06:34 AM

The best and easiest way to get those backgrounds on is with Yamaha's graphics application gel, I bought it from my local dealer for a couple bucks and it works great. It is almost like hairgel, just put on the numberplate, place the background and take your time working it around the curves, while forcing the gel out from the middle. I also used a heatgun to smooth some of the final wrinkles.

• BFLee

Posted February 06, 2002 - 07:47 AM

I got these tips from someone else here on TT but I can't remember who.

Fill your sink with hot water and a couple drops of liquid dish soap. Preheat your oven to the lowest temp that it will hold. (but nothing over 175F)

While sink is filling open the decal package and pound beer #1.

Submerse a side panel and scrub the surface good with your hands. Yes, the water is hot and your hands are turning red. Remove the backing from the background and submerse the background over the side panel. Align the background and start to work the water out from the center. If you don't like your alignment you should be able to peel it up and start over. When you are happy with the alignment and feel like you can't get any more water out put the side panel on a cookie sheet and put it in the oven. (how many people really have a heat gun?)

Pound beer #2.

Repeat above process with other side panel.

Pound beer #3.

Take the side panel that has been in the oven the longest and start to squeegee the decal from the peak of the hump (not the middle) outwards. When the plate has cooled so it is no longer workable, Swap with the plate in the oven and continue.

Pound beer #4.

Keep working and swapping and pounding until you are either happy with the results, totally frustrated, out of beer, or passed out drunk.

Don't be too suprised if you wreck the first set of backgrounds and have to start over. I got my second set on with no wrinkles or slits.

Keep an eye on the plates while they are in the oven, don't let them melt.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Odie

Posted February 06, 2002 - 08:30 AM

Oven???? Cookie sheets???? Just heat them up with a hair dryer. I do agree with your beer pounding methods though.

• scottzx7rr

Posted February 06, 2002 - 03:57 PM

I just use the bath tub filled with hot water. While they are submerged work out the bubbles. When happy just remove from the water and let it sit. Never had a problem doing it that way.

• moto614

Posted February 06, 2002 - 04:17 PM

i got fed up with mine and bought yellow # plates from ufo

• Mr_Toyz

Posted February 06, 2002 - 04:18 PM

I agree with Scott, use the tub, but dont forget the rubber duckie...

Mr T

• h_bomb

Posted February 07, 2002 - 01:12 PM

Boil them in a pot with some chicken broth and celery,season to taste. HAD TO DO IT. :)

• BFLee

Posted February 07, 2002 - 02:20 PM

Polyethelene stew, yum yum. :)

• Drinkn_Buddy

Posted February 07, 2002 - 11:13 PM

Best thing that i have found and i am serious, is WD40. A high pressure washer wont remove it after it dries. Dont know why it works, but it does. Apply a little to the backside of the decal, position it and just let it dry. impervious to anything. also works great at securing grips to handle bars. i'm not kidding, try it out

Related Content

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  106 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.