Last night I installed the Acerbis 3.3 gallon tank on my '07 WR450F. I didn't realize that it replaces the radiator shrouds. This isn't necessarily a bad thing but the big blue tank takes away from the looks of the bike. I'm trying to determine if graphics are made for it and if so, what have you guys used or know of and recommend. Pics are worth a 1000 words.
For those folks looking at purchasing one of these tanks here are a few of my observations:
- Fit and finish is very good. Petcock holes were clean and well placed. Tank feels very sturdy.
- Installation was very easy and straightforward. I do wish the instructions mentioned loctite. Only after putting the whole thing together did I think it would've been a good idea to use it. Doh! Will disassemble and redo tonight.
- Everything lined up pretty well although the little lower brackets on the radiators needed a little 'help' to fit. So of this could be due to the bikes radiator brackets being 'tweaked' with use.
- The petcock itself seems very flimsy compared to stock. I'm going to start looking for a quality aftermarket replacement. Don't care for the plastic lever. The fuel hose nipple is slightly smaller than the stock one so I'm less secure about the fit. The o-ring seems very small and unsophisticated compared to stock. Hasn't leaked so far but didn't give me a lot of confidence. You can't use the stock petcock because it has 2 tubes that run up into the tank while the Acerbis only has one hole.
- I think once it has graphics it'll look good and well integrated. Without them it's a big blue blob.
- I purchased from motosport.com. Price was good and delivery was immediate. It's the first time I've purchased from them.
- For all the other dumb*sses out there like me who wondered how you could use the gas from the part of the tank that hangs down low by the shrouds, well you don't. That area is blocked off within the tank. The 3.3 gallons is measured without it.
Thanks for any help.