yzf springs in a wr

10 replies to this topic
  • wr_steve

Posted February 08, 2004 - 05:26 PM

Hey I'm a first time writer and memeber of thumper talk and I was wondering if it was possible to put yzf fork and rear springs in a wr. I have a 99 wr with really soft springs and was just curious if the yz and the wr are the same springs but with different spring rates.

• Hick

Posted February 08, 2004 - 05:32 PM

I'm pretty sure the springs are the same, WR to YZ.

Anybody else?

• John_H

Posted February 09, 2004 - 09:02 AM

Look at the specs in the owner's manual. YZ spring is a little stiffer. I changed mine out a while ago because it was a liitle soft. Bought it from a TT member with a YZ who had replaced his with a race tech spring. :)

• PumpkinHumper

Posted February 09, 2004 - 10:26 AM

Hey Steve. Since none of these other guys bothered saying it...... WELCOME TO THUMPER TALK :) :D

• Indy_WR450

Posted February 09, 2004 - 10:38 AM

Good Idea Don! Welcome Steve. :D You will find that the difference in springs is minimal but the difference in valving is substantial. If you need new springs try Racetech or MXtech and get the springs for your weight and riding style. It made a big difference for me on the WR450. :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Hick

Posted February 09, 2004 - 12:25 PM

Look at the specs in the owner's manual.

Both 400s have the same PN for fork springs w/ same rate printed on the fiche.

:)

• tcmII

Posted February 09, 2004 - 05:59 PM

I have been doing the research for myself and have found that the owners manual, parts catalog and Race Tech website all seem to suggest that the shock and forks are the same WR to YZF. The difference is in the spring rates.

I put in a link to Race Tech, you can check it out for yourself and check the recommend spring rate for your riding style.

Good luck,

Race Tech

• Hick

Posted February 09, 2004 - 06:23 PM

I have been doing the research for myself and have found that the owners manual, parts catalog and Race Tech website all seem to suggest that the shock and forks are the same WR to YZF. The difference is in the spring rates.

Thanks for the link. The Race Tech site shows WR 400 with fork spring rate of .460, and shows the same for the YZ 400. This is also what the parts fiche at Yamaha-motor.com indicates.

:)

• tcmII

Posted February 09, 2004 - 06:30 PM

Glad you found the Race Tech Site OK. Did you check to see what the recommend spring rate was for your weight and type of riding? I have been looking for a 5.4 for the rear and plan to leave the front alone. I think I have a line on Eibach 5.4 springs for $49.00, new in the box.

Let me know if you need 5.4, I'll let you know where right after I order mine. :)

• John_H

Posted February 09, 2004 - 08:58 PM

I'm talking about the rear spring. :D

Even back in 1999, the WR had the 5.0 spring rate and the YZ is 5.4.

Go to Yamaha's site and look at the their parts catolog.

Just going from the 5.0 to the 5.4 made a world of difference for me at 190 lbs. plus gear. I noticed a big difference in turning down the damping and still getting good results on G-outs where the shock gets hit suddenly on high speed edges. :)

As far as the forks go, I've had great results with just changing the shim stacks to make it stiffer in the bottom half of the suspension. Vern at Bobby J's did that for me.

• Hick

Posted February 10, 2004 - 06:59 AM

Even back in 1999, the WR had the 5.0 spring rate and the YZ is 5.4.

Then it appears we have finally, collectively answered the original question.

Whew! :)

Rear spring is stiffer on the YZ400 vs. WR400, fork springs are the same.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.