What am I looking at? Good Deal?

10 replies to this topic
  • KarmaKazi

Posted January 20, 2015 - 06:48 PM

Never bought a single cylinder or anything dirt sooo... Here's a 2005 wr450f for $2200. No miles or hours listed. But it is said to start easy, run, and ride well. Had him send me a picture and I have no idea what I'm looking at haha. I'd feel real dumb if something was seriously wrong in this picture so, help a brother out?

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1421808313.983356.jpg

And another.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1421808448.803523.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1421808403.163810.jpg

• Krannie McKranface

Posted January 20, 2015 - 07:13 PM

You should not buy a bike you are not familiar with.

Follow this forum for a bit and get to know this bike. Read the FAQ section at the begining of this forum.

The wear on the clutch case means it's seen tons of hours of riding, but I see no abuse (bent radiators, dinged frame, etc) so that is good.

2200 is cheap

• KarmaKazi

Posted January 20, 2015 - 07:32 PM

You should not buy a bike you are not familiar with.
Follow this forum for a bit and get to know this bike. Read the FAQ section at the begining of this forum.
The wear on the clutch case means it's seen tons of hours of riding, but I see no abuse (bent radiators, dinged frame, etc) so that is good.
2200 is cheap

Thanks. I've done quite a bit of reading over the past 3 or so months. It came down to this or the crf450x.

I'll never learn the nitty gritty until I get my hands on/in it. I learned on a 1976 185 enduro when I was 12 but I've been riding/working on sport bikes for the past 8 years. Just trying to get back in the dirt and didn't want to make a dumb first purchase.

• DeepPurplishBlue

Posted January 20, 2015 - 07:49 PM

Well, unless the guy needs a new camera and his lens has serious optical distortion issues, the picture without the seat appears to show

a bike that has been crashed HARD.   The subframe is very tweaked....

• Krannie McKranface

Posted January 20, 2015 - 08:22 PM

It's not 'tweaked'...it's unbolted and sitting to the side, hanging on the harness....

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DeepPurplishBlue

Posted January 20, 2015 - 09:12 PM

You are right...   I see the bolt hole now.   

It does look a bit odd where the lugs are for the seat though...   must be illusion

• RHeritage

Posted January 21, 2015 - 06:21 AM

If bike is actually as clean as it is in the pictures and can be had for 1.9 to 2K it's a good deal, seems clean and most important stock and unmolested. I have an 04 model I picked up for 1.9k, completely stock and really love it.

Good Luck,

Rich

• flyandride

Posted January 21, 2015 - 11:56 AM

In the first picture it's stripped down.  Tank, seat, airbox and sub frame off.  Ask him what he was doing to it.  

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted January 22, 2015 - 01:40 AM

If bike is actually as clean as it is in the pictures and can be had for 1.9 to 2K it's a good deal, seems clean and most important stock and unmolested. I have an 04 model I picked up for 1.9k, completely stock and really love it.

Good Luck,

Rich

I'll throw in my two cents.    I've had this exact bike.

The clutch cover shows wear, but ironically, the swing arm, wheels and other things do not.  I don't even see marks where the boots would wear in to the frame.    

If it starts good and runs good, then it could be a good buy.   If the bottom end is good and doesn't make funny noises, then that's a good thing.  The top end will show itself immediately when you start it up.   Even still, my wr450 top end was not expensive to replace a couple of valves.

Pull the valve cover, look at the cams and the cam journals.   

Then, find out why its apart like this.  In 7 years of owning my wr450, I only removed the air box once.     Where are the parts?

I would not be afraid of this one.

Edited by mauricedorris, January 22, 2015 - 01:41 AM.

• KarmaKazi

Posted January 22, 2015 - 06:36 AM

I was wondering about the look of the subframe mostly so that's cleared up. He said he was going through and checking everything when he bought the bike last year. He replaced the starter and starter relay (OEM), flushed the coolant/added engine ice, AIS removal kit, JD Jet kit, new fork seals (bushing look good), and yz450 header.

Sounds gravy to me. Going to look and hopefully buy tomorrow. Can't wait. Thanks for the input fellas, I always like to have 2nd opinions.

• MyersAvionics

Posted January 22, 2015 - 11:46 AM

Looks clean, but i would recommend this one: http://www.ebay.com/...984.m1555.l2649:p 

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.