Need electrical help on a 1999 YZ400F

3 replies to this topic
  • socalmotorider

Posted January 19, 2015 - 06:28 PM

I just picked up a project bike hoping to get back on the saddle.

It's a 1999 Yamaha YZ400F and does not want to spark/fire so i downloaded the manual to check voltage etc. and here is what i found.

First i checked the obvious getting fuel,stop switch and spark which i am not sure but the spark is there but looks pretty faint but seems to jump across.

Next i broke out the meter to test the coil and CDI and here are my findings

CDI magneto inspection read 282 should be 248-372 GOOD

Source coil 1 resistance read 332 should be 720-1080 BAD

Source coil 2 resistance read 46 should be 44-66 GOOD (barely)

Secondary coil resistance read 11.57 should be 9.5-14.3 GOOD

Ignition coil jumps around ALL over the place and should be 0.20-0.30

Sooo hopefully some one has a better idea than me on my next step before i start throwing money around i don't have Haha Thanks in advance

Also bike does appear to have a aftermarket stator and i am guessing it's either a bad coil or stator ???

• RickyStator

Posted January 20, 2015 - 11:29 AM

stator is bad very common, we have a couple options. 10% off for members

http://www.rickystat...tator-all-years

http://www.rickystat...embly-all-years

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • socalmotorider

Posted January 20, 2015 - 12:45 PM

So you think it's the stator and not the coil ? My plan once i get it running is to run a led headlight so like the option of your stator but was hoping not to spend that much Haha although it is more reasonable than the stock one. I know it has a after market stator in there now as the original owner was running a headlight. Thanks and I'm local to you guys so that helps.

• RickyStator

Posted January 20, 2015 - 03:04 PM

So you think it's the stator and not the coil ? My plan once i get it running is to run a led headlight so like the option of your stator but was hoping not to spend that much Haha although it is more reasonable than the stock one. I know it has a after market stator in there now as the original owner was running a headlight. Thanks and I'm local to you guys so that helps.

Source coil one is wat low. To run LED lights you will also need a small battery and rectifier, we carry both

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.