Rear Sag?

6 replies to this topic
  • Sparky_So_Cal

Posted February 05, 2002 - 01:37 PM

It has been 11 years since I have owned a dirt bike and was going through the manual last night looking for a description of how to set rear sag. The question I have is, what is the starting point? Is the rear wheel supposed to be free floating on a bike stand or should the bike be off of the stand? I know how and where to measure w/ me on the bike, but I need the reference point. Also, what rear sag do you guys usually run?? (I am sure to get a bunch of different numbers here) I ride 90% tracks and 10% desert so I want to mainly set up my bike for tracks.

• skthom2320

Posted February 05, 2002 - 01:45 PM

Your reference is with the rear wheel off the ground. I believe this is in the manual near the back.

The manual recommends 4" (100mm).

If you have a good grip, you can adjust by just grabbing and turning the spring by hand after you knock the lock ring loose with a punch.

Steve T

• h_bomb

Posted February 05, 2002 - 01:56 PM

Tighten or loosen the spring on the stand its much easier by hand.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bassr_#186

Posted February 05, 2002 - 01:57 PM

The starting point is measured with the bike on the stand (I measure from the axle nut to a mark I made on the rear fender). Then, take the bike of the stand and, with someone's help, stand on the bike with your knees bent and weight centered on the footpegs while wearing all your gear. Measure the distance from the same points you measured before. I run generally run my sag between 95 and 100 mm depending on track conditions. 100 mm is likely the best starting point.

After setting your race sag, you might want to measure the bike's "free sag" to determine whether or not you have the correct rear spring rate. Initially, follow the same procedure as above, but instead of getting on the bike, just measure how much the bike drops under its own weight. I don't know the range off the top of my head, but if the free sag is too much, you need a lighter spring, and vice-versa. If I am wrong on this, suspension gurus please speak up.

• Shawn_Mc

Posted February 07, 2002 - 03:25 PM

As far as bike free sag, or the bike saggin under its own weight, 10-25mm. If your a big guy and you get your weighted sag right and the thing doesnt move when you pull it off the stand, ya need a stiffer spring.

• yz426dez

Posted February 07, 2002 - 08:25 PM

Go to It will tell you everything yo need to know about race sag.

• Sparky_So_Cal

Posted February 08, 2002 - 08:44 AM

Thank you all very much. For those interseted, the info on was very helpful.

God Bless

Related Content

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.