big fin head mod

21 replies to this topic
  • deano

Posted February 08, 2004 - 03:22 PM

I recall a company that made a modification to the XR 600 head that consisted of welding on fin extensions to aid cooling. Does anyone remember who did this mod? Was it effective?

• Roll_it_on

Posted February 08, 2004 - 04:22 PM

I think that XR's Only still does the big fin heads if you are interested. Before I did that however I would add an oil cooler off of a XR250 or 400 first. I think for the vast majority of riding conditions an oiler cooler would provide the greatest cooling efficiency.

• gizmoe

Posted December 24, 2009 - 05:10 AM

I thought Hunda testing revealed the big fin head worked better than the oil cooler.

• GINORMOUS

Posted December 24, 2009 - 12:34 PM

well if you think about it, most of the heat generated goes right into the cylinder head where the fins are, from there it is transmitted to the rest of the engine and also the oil. the oil cooler is a good idea but they put fins on the head for a reason, making those fins to a greater surface area will allow more heat to dissipate faster. Cooling just the oil doesnt cool the head much IMO.

heat isnt generated from anywhere else except the combustion chamber and so i would start there if you can.

• valvesrule

Posted December 24, 2009 - 05:26 PM

XRs Only developed the XR race bikes for Honda in the 70s and 80s. They are the ones that started this mod and the only one I know of adding big fins still.

• kpatrick

Posted December 24, 2009 - 10:44 PM

Call up Rob Barnum at Barnumspro.

• Captain Midnight

Posted December 24, 2009 - 11:44 PM

I weld my own big fin heads.

Posted Image

Posted Image

• cleonard

Posted December 25, 2009 - 08:42 AM

Talk about dredging up an old one. At five and a half years this one has got to be one of the oldest. What do you think the chances are that Deano still owns an aircooled XR?

• SuperSingle

Posted December 25, 2009 - 09:02 AM

Captain Midnight,
What type of welding do you use? Would you mind sharing the aluminum alloy, too? Finally, do you have any problems with distortion of the head due to heat?

• Bibleman

Posted December 25, 2009 - 11:42 AM

^^^^What he said - speak on oh wise one!^^^. I'd love to do my own big fin head if its feasible.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Captain Midnight

Posted December 26, 2009 - 09:30 PM

Nothing special. Regular aluminum, regular rod. TIG welded. The head has a lot of silcone in the alloy, so get things really clean before welding. I made cardboard templates to get the fins shaped right. Bevel the fins where they join the head, so you can get 100 percent penatration, when welding on the top side only. Give a little extra clearance around the petcock.

• HeadTrauma

Posted December 26, 2009 - 09:53 PM

Bevel the fins where they join the head, so you can get 100 percent penatration, when welding on the top side only.

For the DIYers out there, that means starting at the bottom(cylinder side) of the head and working upward... :moon:

• FBJR

Posted December 27, 2009 - 01:26 AM

Damage in $$$ :moon:

• Kenzo

Posted December 27, 2009 - 09:14 AM

Talk about dredging up an old one. At five and a half years this one has got to be one of the oldest. What do you think the chances are that Deano still owns an aircooled XR?

it wud seem the guys from downunder start at the last thread and work their way towards the first :moon:

:cheers:

• Captain Midnight

Posted December 27, 2009 - 02:02 PM

About 150

• gizmoe

Posted December 28, 2009 - 03:56 AM

I have 2 mates that want to do it on XR400/XR630 but the people in Oz that use to do it, dont anymore...

• FBJR

Posted December 28, 2009 - 05:02 AM

Thats not bad at all, old thread or not.

Hmm, now do I do the 600R or 650L

• bork

Posted December 28, 2009 - 07:50 AM

Does anyone know if the added fins cool enough to bump up compression slightly without predetination?

• Srad600

Posted December 28, 2009 - 09:17 PM

I've had it done and it does work well. It does NOT stop the dreaded pinging with a hi-comp piston though.

• Captain Midnight

Posted December 29, 2009 - 12:55 AM

The pinging comes from lack of quench or squish area.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.