I am going nuts with all this snow.

48 replies to this topic
  • mole1

Posted February 09, 2004 - 02:55 PM

frostbite
are you the one that wrote the "first person" article in cycle canada a few issues back ? i found it quite interesting , what caught my attention was the sled with the bike strapped on the back . :)

• yamaharichey

Posted February 09, 2004 - 04:24 PM

O.K. I feel much better now thanks to our northern friends, Our winters are nothing compared to what you have. Question for Frostbite, where in the heck (we say heck here in Utah, its a Morman thing) do you live? just how far north are you? You might have Gordingull in Iceland beat for the coldest climate. How do you guys that ride on snow and ice do against the snowmobiles? You guys must have really big ba-- well you know what I mean, Now I feel like a whimp cause I won't ride until the snow melts and it warms up.

• r1superstar

Posted February 09, 2004 - 07:36 PM

It just snowed another 15" here in the Salt Lake area, Will I ever get to ride again? I'am starting to have withdrawls, I'am getting shaky, nervous, and irritable, I need to feel the power of that 450, I need to feel the back tire break loose and slide around until its right along side of me, I need go down a single track trail at about fifty MPH, heck I even miss crashing. Man I can't wait til spring!

Yes I miss riding too. Do what I do to pass the time away......Snowboarding!! :)

• live_to_ride

Posted February 09, 2004 - 08:42 PM

Hey yamaharichey, did you see the thread I started a couple of weeks ago? If you wanna go riding (down south), then let's go! :)

• Frostbite

Posted February 10, 2004 - 05:33 AM

Yes, that was me. They cut quite a bit out of the article, the original was 3 pages, but I think people still get the idea. I took that pic when I went back to find my bike a week after S&R pulled my frosty butt out of a snowbank. I had been out riding and got caught in a little blizzard and spent a -49 night in the mountains. They dragged me to the hospital the next morning but left the bike. I asked them for the GPS co-ordinates and I bought a Garmin when I got out of the hospital. No terrible permanent damage, lost a bit of skin, everything that fell off grew back. The weather stayed nasty all week and I couldn't convince anyone to come out with me to find the bike. I couldn't stand that my scoot was still out there so the next weekend I took my sled and snuck out on my own to find it. I was just going to locate it and come back with a kamotiq later to tow it back, but I decided to try to strap it to the sled. I managed to get a few miles but the bike had so much leverage over the sled that no matter how hard I hung off the side, it would tip me over on any off camber slope. Finally I had to cut it loose and come back the next day with a kamotiq. I put the emergency gear description in my signature for a laugh, but I really do carry it now. 2 other fellas didn't make it that weekend. There's a fine line between being here and not being here.

• Gordingull

Posted February 10, 2004 - 07:01 AM

It just snowed another 15" here in the Salt Lake area, Will I ever get to ride again? I'am starting to have withdrawls, I'am getting shaky, nervous, and irritable, I need to feel the power of that 450, I need to feel the back tire break loose and slide around until its right along side of me, I need go down a single track trail at about fifty MPH, heck I even miss crashing. Man I can't wait til spring!

Yes I miss riding too. Do what I do to pass the time away......Snowboarding!! :)

Or do like me, go riding and between that go snowboarding :D

• DirtDobber

Posted February 10, 2004 - 07:15 AM

What's snow?
DD:LOL:

• Frostbite

Posted February 10, 2004 - 07:39 AM

I live on Baffin Island, latitude 63'45, 194 miles south of the Arctic Circle. I worked in a community a little farther north (66'08) for a couple of months and flew the bike up with me for boredom relief. I am the only scooter on the snow up here and on a rough packed trail I can wup most sleds. There are a few good crazy sledders that can give me a run for my money but they take an awful beating in the woops and they burn out quickly. I can outbrake most sleds too so that's a big advantage in tight stuff. They smoke me on high speed sections though. They run over 100 mph and so far the most I can squeak out of my 400 is 76mph pushing snow. I do tend to locate a lot of buried treasure that the sleds skip right over, that makes things interesting. I just entered a 320k cross country sled race that's running March 27th. There's a $10,000 first prize, money goes back to 10th, and there's a 50 rider limit. If the trail's good and packed, and if a 430 kit and pipe will get me near 100mph, I shouldn't do terribly. If we have fresh snow before the race I'd make better time putting on a pair of snowshoes and carrying the bike on my back. TSN and OLN are coming up to film the race so no matter how bad the conditions I'm going to at least make the start to get my mug on the tele and make my mom proud. I made one appearance on the Discovery Channel after my overnight incident. It's still running so if you're bored watch for 'Fear Fighters, Arctic Rescue' episode and you can see some freestyle mogul ridin'. I don't know if you guys in the States can get it but it runs about once a month in Canada. You can check out the race website at http://nsc2003.eastlink.ca/

• holeshot426

Posted February 10, 2004 - 12:38 PM

Snow? Right now its 65 F and bluebird outside. Going to Stoneyford this weekend for some back tire slidin', mud splashin, rock throwin' single track action.... If it makes you feel any better, I will let you know how the beer tastes afterward?

• Frostbite

Posted February 10, 2004 - 01:12 PM

Here's where I spent Jan 25th last year. If you look closely at the bottom of the hill you can see some footy-prints in the snow. A big 'ol Arctic wolf cruised by just as I crested the hill. I saw him before I saw the bike but he was gone before I got the camera out. imagestation

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yamaharichey

Posted February 10, 2004 - 01:14 PM

Snow? Right now its 65 F and bluebird outside. Going to Stoneyford this weekend for some back tire slidin', mud splashin, rock throwin' single track action.... If it makes you feel any better, I will let you know how the beer tastes afterward?

I'll bet you're not even going to feel guilty when you're out rideing, I hope you suck a squirrel into your intake, and may the fleas from a thousand wild burros infest your pubic hair. :)

• Frostbite

Posted February 10, 2004 - 01:17 PM

And here's a good plug for Garmin GPS's. Search and Rescue gave me the co-ordinates where they found me. I bought a GPS and punched in the co-ordinates and it led me right to the bike. I would've found it even if it had been completely buried. Frosty pics

• mole1

Posted February 10, 2004 - 04:11 PM

thats one extreme riding area , how did a maritimer end up on baffin island , oil exploration , mining ? whats the short summer riding season like ?

• Frostbite

Posted February 10, 2004 - 04:43 PM

I came up here on a 2 week construction contract....5 years ago. It's like the wild west up here, the final frontier, you either love it or hate it. The summer riding season here is poison. Melting glaciers peppered the land with big round boulders they had been dragging along so the riding is fairly treacherous, and if you're not crawling over rocks you're slogging through slop. It's all permafrost so the ground is frozen as far down as you wanna dig. The top 2 or 3 feet melts in the summer but since the layer below is frozen there's no drainage and it's wet and slimy until it freezes again. If I didn't drop down 2 teeth on my front sprocket I'd forget how to shift. It's mostly first gear stuff in the summer, good trials training though. I pray for winter snow as bad as the other boys on this post pray for it to leave. The wintertime is no question, hands down the best riding season up here. The snow levels things out and it's the only time I can run full tilt. What part of NB are you from? Do you know any of the guys at Toys For Big Boys in Moncton, I think? I ran at Shubie for a while and got my last race bike through them. I also raced with Terry Eldridge who runs a bike shop in St. John. summer fun Any of these guys ring a bell?

• live_to_ride

Posted February 10, 2004 - 07:03 PM

Figured as much.

• HawaiianStyle

Posted February 10, 2004 - 08:26 PM

Awww! It's 81 here in Hawaii! Happy snow day. I'll throw some roost for you.

• Gordingull

Posted February 11, 2004 - 03:19 AM

Check those photos out, they are of me riding in snow :) Check this out

• N7SLC

Posted February 11, 2004 - 03:55 AM

Check those photos out, they are of me riding in snow :D Check this out

I gotta admit, that's looks like fun!! :)

• Frostbite

Posted February 11, 2004 - 07:49 AM

Nice pics! We don't get much level ice here. I spend most of my time riding cross country through mountain trails. sno trailIt looks like you were on an ice track (judging by the pylons). Do you have any organized ice races there? Do you spend much time on the trails?

• Frostbite

Posted February 11, 2004 - 08:02 AM

There's always time to stop and examine buried treasure. Here's a little gem I found hidden in the snow. sunken treasure I tagged it full crack in 4th. It didn't look like much until I was almost on top of it and realized that my rear tire was digging down nearly a foot and this thing was poking through the surface. I got the front to skip over but the rear made full contact and the wheel was shocked all the way back to the end of the chain adjustment and the rim got bent. One good thing about riding in the snow is that you slide around so much that a bent rim doesn't make much difference. If mole 1 is reading this, that's the rock I talked about tagging in the Cycle canada article.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.