Another Swingarm Question

3 replies to this topic
  • bobpara

Posted January 17, 2015 - 10:19 AM

So the swingarm has a pair of roller hearings on each side  or, each half for a total of 4 bearings...and a thrust bearing on each side too.

The swing arm bolt runs through the entire assembly seeing: Frame / Swingarm/ Engine / Swing Arm / Frame

Are there any bushings or bearings in the engine case?

I see something that looks like a bushing in there any more?

Is the hole in the engine just a clearance or is it 'load bearing' to the rest of the whole assembly?

• bobpara

Posted January 19, 2015 - 08:42 AM

BTW: One other thing for future reference: If and when you set out to do the bearings in the swingarm, there are TWO kits you need. One set is for the swingarm and the swingarm only. They other kit is called a 'pivot kit' and contains all the other bearings, collars and seals you will need. By the time you are done about $150 for both kits

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted January 20, 2015 - 06:47 AM

There are no bearings in the engine case.  What you see there are steel inserts pressed into the case to prevent the bore in the cases from loosening over the swing arm pivot due to wear from vibration.  That point on the engine is load bearing insofar as it anchors the back of the engine assembly, and in that it is a part of the "stack" that the pivot bolt clamps down on.

• bobpara

Posted January 20, 2015 - 07:47 AM

Thanks Grayracer, I suspected so but I was not 100% sure

Makes sense now. Everything is fixed in place with exception of the two pints on the swingarm with the bearings

Man! Swingarm service is like taking apart a swiss watch!

Esp if you stay with the old needle bearings w/o a cage to hold them in place

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.