Wr250 oil tank on a wr459

9 replies to this topic
  • Uknowme53

Posted January 15, 2015 - 09:41 PM

Ok I'm new here and yes I did do a search but was Unable to find anywhere where someone has added the external oil tank from the wr250f onto a wr450f for the added oil. In my mind more oil = cooler oil. Cooler oil = longer oil Life and better protection agency wear on internal engine components. Any and all input would be appreciated. Ow Ya I have a 2007 wr450f ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1421386877.785939.jpg

Edited by Uknowme53, January 15, 2015 - 10:01 PM.

• DunmireD001

Posted January 15, 2015 - 10:27 PM

Never heard of anyone doing it, but I can see where it would be a nice mod. I know there are also oil cooler kits that send the oil through a little intercooler/ radiator that mounts to your stock radiator to keep the oil cool as well.

• Uknowme53

Posted January 15, 2015 - 11:59 PM

I could not find any for the 2007. If you know where I could find one please link it. I live in So. Cal and ride 50/50 street dirt and want to make sure the bike stays cool if I go down the freeway on a hot day.

I have no idea why Yamaha would give the wr250 2.5L of oil and only 1.5L in the wr450.

• flyandride

Posted January 16, 2015 - 06:48 AM

I could not find any for the 2007. If you know where I could find one please link it. I live in So. Cal and ride 50/50 street dirt and want to make sure the bike stays cool if I go down the freeway on a hot day.

I have no idea why Yamaha would give the wr250 2.5L of oil and only 1.5L in the wr450.

Don't worry about overheating your bike on the freeway, it's the slow trail or traffic riding that heats up a bike.  I had a temperature gauge on my bike, at highway speeds it would level out at 145 even on a hot day.  A 4000 ft climb on a jeep trail would heat it up to 245.  

• stevethe

Posted January 16, 2015 - 08:40 AM

I don't think it's worth it and not necessary on a near stock bike. I know someone that went through a lot of trouble and put a oil cooler on a very hot very high HP road racing YZ450. I run my supermoto in the summer and there aren't any issues. Just change the oil frequently enough.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Uknowme53

Posted January 16, 2015 - 09:11 AM

My biggest concern is when I'm running down the freeway at 75 mile an hour for an extended amount of time. I just worry that only one and a half quarts of oil it's enough to lubricate the motor properly during sustained high rpm's I plan on putting the 15T front sprocket on any other suggestions? Or should I go with a 14T?

• stevethe

Posted January 16, 2015 - 10:07 AM

My biggest concern is when I'm running down the freeway at 75 mile an hour for an extended amount of time. I just worry that only one and a half quarts of oil it's enough to lubricate the motor properly during sustained high rpm's I plan on putting the 15T front sprocket on any other suggestions? Or should I go with a 14T?

The bike holds one quart and lubricates well. They are very oil tight and don't seem to use any oil. If you put more than a quart in it will spew out. The only issue is it needs to be changed fairly often.
You can try a 15 tooth it won't hurt.

• Uknowme53

Posted January 16, 2015 - 01:18 PM

The bike holds one quart and lubricates well. They are very oil tight and don't seem to use any oil. If you put more than a quart in it will spew out. The only issue is it needs to be changed fairly often.
You can try a 15 tooth it won't hurt.

you don't think the 15 will be to much when I go off-road?

• stevethe

Posted January 16, 2015 - 01:39 PM

you don't think the 15 will be to much when I go off-road?

Well there is off road and then there is nasty off road.
Probably be fine on normal stuff.

• Uknowme53

Posted January 16, 2015 - 02:21 PM

Well there is off road and then there is nasty off road.
Probably be fine on normal stuff.

Ya I try not to get into any nasty off-road I'm not a great rider just got back on a dirtbike after 3 years of not ridding.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.