03 YZ450f Exhaust Valve Seats Pitted

2 replies to this topic
  • Koth442

Posted January 14, 2015 - 06:00 PM

My exhaust valve seats are pitted very badly. Leak down test cued me towards a large leak out of the exhaust.

It seems my options are:

1. Get another head, either new/used

2. Replace valve seats.

3. JB weld that bitch and grind them back down (joking)

It seems vavle seats should be replaced by a repuitable shop. Any idea how much that would cost? Any other clever ideas? Any body got a 03-05 head they want to sell?

Open to other comments

Thanks

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted January 15, 2015 - 07:17 AM

Have the head evaluated by a local shop that does work for the area dealers, or send it out to Engine Dynamics.  They can fix heads with seized cams, or that have dropped valves for much less than the cost of new.

• Koth442

Posted January 18, 2015 - 01:42 PM

Gray, thanks for getting back to me.

Local Head & Block Repair said the pitting is too deep for grinding or cutting. I'll give Engine Dynamics a call. It just needs valve seats replaced. Also looking into a replacement used head in good condition.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.