Engine oil

12 replies to this topic
  • DunmireD001

Posted January 14, 2015 - 11:18 AM

What kind of rotella oil is good for these bikes?

I seem to recall oil discussions a while back and several ppl mentioned using Rotella, but couldn't remember what kind.

Looking at switching to Rotella, because I can't get Yamalube locally.

• BDubb106

Posted January 14, 2015 - 11:20 AM

What kind of rotella oil is good for these bikes?

I seem to recall oil discussions a while back and several ppl mentioned using Rotella, but couldn't remember what kind.

Looking at switching to Rotella, because I can't get Yamalube locally.

The white jug! 15-40. $12-$13 per gallon at wally world.  

Edited by BDubb106, January 14, 2015 - 11:20 AM.

• DunmireD001

Posted January 14, 2015 - 11:27 AM

Thanks. Ya I plan on buying the gallon jug. It should save loads of money for me compared to Yamalube, plus it'll be better for the bike bc I can change the oil more frequently.

• BDubb106

Posted January 14, 2015 - 11:49 AM

Thanks. Ya I plan on buying the gallon jug. It should save loads of money for me compared to Yamalube, plus it'll be better for the bike bc I can change the oil more frequently.

I change mine every 5 hours just because I am anal, and have sent 5 hr tests in to Blackstone and also sent a 10 hr sample in and both oil samples were in great condition... Rotella is a VERY good motorcycle oil. It even outperforms the motorcycle specific oils that I had tested.

• underground-mpyre

Posted January 14, 2015 - 12:12 PM

I use the Rotella T6 Blue Jug and same thing, great oil.  Cheap and very effective on all my bikes.

• DunmireD001

Posted January 14, 2015 - 12:50 PM

Yeah, a while back I did my regular oil change and noticed the oil was slightly milky... Not milkshake, but had the milky tint that you can tell there's water in it.

So I went on with the oil change, rode the bike for a few hours, drained it again, and it was still the same.

Performance of the bike is still great, and there's no smoke, or foul odors, so I'm 90% sure it's a leaky water pump seal/ bearing.

So I'll have to pull my clutch cover/ casing apart, replace all of the water pump seals/ bearing/ shaft. Then restart the process of checking my oil frequently to see if I've fixed the issue.

Needless to say, I'll be going through a fair amount of oil throughout this.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted January 14, 2015 - 06:23 PM

Ooooh, another oil thread.

Good thing we don't have 70 BILLION ZILLON of these threads already.

s  e  a  r  c h    f  e  a   t  u  r  e

• AtomicGeo

Posted January 14, 2015 - 06:51 PM

Yep, here we go again....

• rah7777777

Posted January 15, 2015 - 05:19 PM

Rotella T6 blue jug synthetic. Only comes in 1 viscosity if I remember right.

• DunmireD001

Posted January 15, 2015 - 10:43 PM

Ooooh, another oil thread.

Good thing we don't have 70 BILLION ZILLON of these threads already.

s e a r c h f e a t u r e

This was a question about ROTELLA oil specifically. So that only the select few who run ROTELLA oil need to input what is recommended. If people read, there's not really any issue. Right?

• Rusty99

Posted February 21, 2015 - 06:59 AM

I'm still not clear on which weight of Rotella myself. Here is a thread that I chimmed in on and received some good input when I inquired about using Rotella.

http://www.thumperta...-you-run/page-2

Seems that a guy can use either non-synthetic (white jug) of the synthetic (blue jug) as they both have the JASO symbol on them.

My question is which weight of Rotella oil should I be using 5W40 and 0W40 in the Synthetic or 15W40 in non synthetic. These are the only option at my local stores like Canadian Tire and Walmart.

P.S I don't know why people get so bent out of shape when it comes to discussing a specific question that has already ready been done. The search function isn't always fool proof. I'm sure most every topic has been discussed more than once but what's the harm in kindly directing a guy to an existing active thread? I know myself being a newbie it sure helps to get some clarity on topics. Just my 2 cents.

Edited by Rusty99, February 21, 2015 - 07:03 AM.

• stevethe

Posted February 21, 2015 - 09:17 AM

I'm still not clear on which weight of Rotella myself. Here is a thread that I chimmed in on and received some good input when I inquired about using Rotella.

http://www.thumperta...-you-run/page-2

Seems that a guy can use either non-synthetic (white jug) of the synthetic (blue jug) as they both have the JASO symbol on them.

My question is which weight of Rotella oil should I be using 5W40 and 0W40 in the Synthetic or 15W40 in non synthetic. These are the only option at my local stores like Canadian Tire and Walmart.

P.S I don't know why people get so bent out of shape when it comes to discussing a specific question that has already ready been done. The search function isn't always fool proof. I'm sure most every topic has been discussed more than once but what's the harm in kindly directing a guy to an existing active thread? I know myself being a newbie it sure helps to get some clarity on topics. Just my 2 cents.

I reckon the reason there is no final answer is it depends on what the temp. is where you are riding. Most owner/shop manuals will tell you what weight to run. I can tell you what I run however it won't help as I am in So. Cal.

• toten

Posted February 21, 2015 - 10:42 AM

Any of them should work fine. There isn't much need for a 0W unless you're running in very cold weather, and generally wider viscosity spreads break down a little faster, so I'd probably go with 5W40 over 0W40. 

I got 20L of this: https://www.rockymou...term=1541760003for $7/L. I know that's around double the cost of Rotella, but the price is pretty reasonable at the price I paid for it. 

There are lots of good oils, as long as you go with one of them you should be fine and the engine probably can't tell the difference.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.