According to the troubleshooting tree for the ignition:
1. Check fuse -> no good, replace and inspect harness
2. Check battery -> no good, recharge or replace
3. Spark gap test -> no good, clean or replace
4. Check entire ignition system (refer lower instructions)
5. Check Engine Stop button -> no good, replace
6. Check Main Switch -> no good, replace
7. Check Ignition Coil (both primary and secondary) -> any no good, replace
8. Check AC Magneto pickup coil -> no good, replace
9. Check Neutral Switch -> no good, repair or replace
10. Replace CDI
Take a look at the engine ground to battery which is right near the carb. You may have a loose or dirty connection which will cause all sorts of electrical issues.
If that's good then look at the whole wiring harness VERY closely.. look for any signs of damage, melting or anything going wrong.
After that if everything was good, unplug all the connectors one by one and look at the pins for any signs of damage or corrosion..
Still can't find anything.. then start unwrapping sections of the harness to get a close look at the wires underneath all the zip ties. You'll need about 2-3 rolls of electrical tape to wrap it up again. (My bike had a open on the neutral sw grounding to the frame which caused a bunch of issues)
STILL can't find anything.. borrow your buddies CDI.
Remember to have fun while doing this. This is why buying mechanics specials can be frustrating.
Edited by zibbit u2, January 13, 2015 - 08:39 PM.