Advise on inspecting an '01 XR650L to buy.

4 replies to this topic
  • Toby_S

Posted February 08, 2004 - 06:27 AM

I'm going to look at an XR650L for my brother in law. It's an '01 with 3k miles. I'm pretty experienced at buying used bikes, and I'm mainly interested in things to look for that are specific to the XR650L.
Thanks in advance,
Toby

• Dual_Dog

Posted February 08, 2004 - 07:15 AM

XRL's are like any other machine. Check all the standard things like rims & spokes; chain sliders, chain condition & stretch (high numbers on adjusters); head light brightness when idle and while revving; oil leaks at the case or head; loud clicking or tapping in the valve train, etc.

Pop open the air box cover (left side panel) & check the air box, air cleaner, & the battery condition. Check the airbox boot for cracks or rotting. Compress the front & rear suspensions & linkage while parked & listen for pops or squeaks. Check the swing arm zerks & bushings for grease.

Look for blue or black smoke coming out from the exhaust pipe which may mean a worn engine. Pull the plug and see if its black, brown, tan or white. White being too lean and running hot, black being too rich with excessive carbon build-up. Check the oil level after warmup for color, smell and to see if its a least halfway between the two holes on the dipstick. Meaning the current owner's been maintaining the most important aspect. This is probably not an issue at 3K miles.

When test riding it, whack the throttle open and then closed in all gears and see what happens. A little popping, hesitation & bogging is normal. More than that carb adjustments or rejetting is needed. Make sure there's no excessive high speed wobble (a lot depends on tire selection).

Look for aftermarket parts that aren't Honda or XRL specific. Ride it hard (if you can) and you be able to tell if feels like an old favorite or one to stay away from.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Toby_S

Posted February 08, 2004 - 09:17 AM

He just let me know the "battery is weak". He's recharged it and it sounds like it starts, but probably not strong. He'll bring Jumpers.
1) what can the "weak battery" be, and can it mask starter prblems?
2) What does a battery cost?
-Toby

• billyboy11b

Posted February 08, 2004 - 10:56 AM

The battery could be weak just from it sitting around. Mine does that, if it sits for a long time, or back when I used to have to crank the hell out of it to get it to start when I dumped it. Batteries aren't too expensive, but, I don't remember what they cost right off the top of my head. Check for cracks in the frame on the battery carrier and on the sub frame of the bike on that side, and out near the muffler mount. Also check for cracks around the passenger peg mounts. When I stripped my bike down to rebuild it, I found cracks in those areas.

• ODSC1

Posted February 08, 2004 - 03:59 PM

Here's a good link for evaluation of any used motorcycle;

http://www.clarity.n...uying-bike.html

Brian

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.