issue with third gear

4 replies to this topic
  • 300lbsgorilla

Posted January 11, 2015 - 01:53 PM

2004 WR450f with the motor basically stock.

I was out ridding today and suddenly I had a problem with third gear.  I can shift easy into and out of third gear.  It stays in gear until I put a bit of power to it and then it feels like it just goes to neutral.  Then when I let off the power it catches again.  It only happens in third gear.  It is not the rear slipping or the clutch as I can nail it in any other gear and no slipping. With the motor off putting it into third and rolling it turns the motor over so there is some engagement.

Any ideas what this could be?  Is there any chance of fixing it without splitting the case?

• Krannie McKranface

Posted January 11, 2015 - 02:44 PM

Most likely cause is broken dogs on the gear (that get it pushed into place), especially if it's only one gear that is a problem

Next would be the shift paw and drum, which can get messed up if you fall on the shifter side

There are parts on the opposite end of the shift shaft that have been known to fail

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 300lbsgorilla

Posted January 11, 2015 - 08:17 PM

Well I was HOPING it would be something simpler.  But sounds like the case needs to be split to fix it. How long would it take, neglecting time to acquire parts, to pull the motor split it, go through it and get it back together?  I am no slouch with a wrench but I do have a day job..  Once I get it out and open I am sure there will be other things that I need to do while it is on the bench.  Seems like a lot of work for an 11 year old dirt bike.  Trying to figure out if the cost and time would be worth it to me.

• 300lbsgorilla

Posted January 25, 2015 - 07:04 PM

Well I fixed it.  Strange thing, some how fixing a transmission turned the bike orange and black.  

Thanks for all the help everyone.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMAG0714_1.jpg

• Krannie McKranface

Posted January 25, 2015 - 07:22 PM

What a mistake

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.