13 replies to this topic
  • Dennish87

Posted January 11, 2015 - 12:59 PM

I took my yz for a little ride through the yard today and the fuel screw back out and fell off. The previous owner had rtv bridged across the screw and carb to keep it in place. I understand why now. Well when I went through the bike I removed the rtv and now it backs out. I also bought an oem fuel screw but kept the one that came with the bike on it because it's easier to adjust. It's the knurled thumb screw type like msr and I think ziptie? Makes. Any ideas how how keep it from backing out besides using rtv? I put a new spring spacer and O-ring in it already.

Thanks

Dennis

• Goforaride

Posted January 11, 2015 - 01:03 PM

Did you do the new spring before or after it fell out?

• Dennish87

Posted January 11, 2015 - 02:53 PM

When it fell out it already had the new spring in it, so before. I'm thinking about putting the oem fuel screw in, but it's such a pain to adjust and it might rattle out too. It stayed put while I was adjusting it idling on the stand, but after 10 minutes of riding it backed out.

• Dennish87

Posted January 11, 2015 - 05:18 PM

Also, what do you guys think caused it to vibrate out?

• Goforaride

Posted January 11, 2015 - 07:22 PM

How many turns out did you have it from seated? Only thing i can think of is that it was to far out to begin with. Maybe it needs re jetted to allow the screw to be the proper number of turns out. It should be less than 3 full turns out or it may not have tension on the spring.

• Dennish87

Posted January 12, 2015 - 03:39 AM

I don't remember exactly but pretty sure it was either 2 or 2 1/4 turns out. So I don't think that's it. That's also why I out the new spring in it.
I don't remember exactly but pretty sure it was either 2 or 2 1/4 turns out. So I don't think that's it. That's also why I out the new spring in it.

• Slow and Jerky

Posted January 12, 2015 - 08:19 AM

I had the same exact issue on my 06. I put in a new spring, washer and seal and it didn't help. What I finally did was put a small spring on the outside. I have the little knob, so the spring goes between the knob and the bowl. That seemed to do the trick. The spring doesn't need to be very stiff, just enough to keep a tiny bit of pressure on the threads.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mike_dean

Posted January 12, 2015 - 11:46 AM

I have an MSR fuel screw in my '06, it was getting harder to start, finally found the fuel screw at 3 1/2 turns out. Now I just reset every ride to 1 3/4 to make sure.

• Dennish87

Posted January 12, 2015 - 03:03 PM

Hmm seams to be a pretty common problem. I'm still tempted to put the new oem one in and see what it does. I just don't want to loose it because it's got the new spring and oring. That would create a very dangerous situation if you were riding motocross and the screw falls out.

• Slow and Jerky

Posted January 12, 2015 - 03:25 PM

You may want to consider one of those remote fuel screws. They are expensive (about $30) but they are held in place by one of the bowl screws so they don't go anywhere.

• Dennish87

Posted January 12, 2015 - 03:29 PM

So I put the msr or moose, not sure, aftermarket mixture screw back in and reset it. It's 3.25 or 3.5 turns out. I haven't settled on which is best just yet. Is that too far out? I know very little about these carbs but am familiar with the engine.

• Dennish87

Posted January 12, 2015 - 03:30 PM

Slow, you think you could find a link? I'm not really sure what you're talking about.

• Goforaride

Posted January 12, 2015 - 03:38 PM

. It should be less than 3 full turns out or it may not have tension on the spring.

• Dennish87

Posted January 13, 2015 - 03:49 AM

Well, I ended up buying the r&d remote fuel screw and a 48 pilot. We'll see if that helps.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.