Dunlop 606 Tire Pressure: How Much?

15 replies to this topic
  • Dual_Dog

Posted February 07, 2004 - 07:00 PM

O.k. guys. I changed my mind about tires. I was dead set on gettin' a set of MT-21's. But I changed my mind. The rear TW "slick" had to go. After many inquiries to the local dealers & psycho shops, I found a pretty good deal on the Dunlop 606. Most everything I read and just about everyone I talked with said the 606 was "the" tire. :D

Long story still long, I've got a new 120/90-18 Dunlop 606 rear tire now. :) Here's what's puzzling me. The damn thing barely had any air pressure in it from the shop and it's feels like its overinflated! I'm using a standard tube and I even put "more" air in it to raise the pressure 17 psi. :D

What kind of sidewall construction does this tire have? It's hard as a rock with virtually no air in it! How much pressure should I be running in this piece of rubber? It feels like 17 psi is way too much. :D

Thanks in advance.

• Dutch

Posted February 08, 2004 - 11:36 AM

I'm using MT21's to dual sport with. This type of tire has a harder construction to help it last on the road. I've run them as low as 5psi in the woods and as high as 26psi with extended high speed pavement rides. I use heavy duty tubes and have never had a flat tire on my BRP, (!).

• Dual_Dog

Posted February 08, 2004 - 01:27 PM

Thanks Dutch. That's what I thought, but wasn't sure. The sidewalls are extremely stiff. Should be great in helping guard against "snake bites" or keeping the sidewall from folding over at really low psi's.

What's different is I can only push the knobs in the center with finger pressure, and not the sidewalls. That's the way I'm used to judging if the pressure is too low, other than using a pressure gauge. This hard terrain tire is quite a change for me, but a welcome one. :)

• yooper_porkchop

Posted February 08, 2004 - 02:06 PM

Dual Dog, I normally run 15 or 16 psi in the rear and 18 in the front. When I changed to the 606s after the TWs I found that the sidewalls were very stiff compared to the TWs. I normally don't run soft sand so I havent found a need to go lower.

• Dual_Dog

Posted February 08, 2004 - 04:00 PM

Sound good yooper porkchop.

That's the one thing I want to avoid, going too low for the hard and rocky terrain when I ride off-road.

This tire is deceivingly stiff (to me). When I brought it back from the shop yesterday I was sure there was over 25 psi in there. Turns out there was less than 12! :) I couldn't believe it. I think I've got about 15 right now and that seems about right. :D

• joshinthecity

Posted March 16, 2006 - 05:48 PM

Veeery interesting.
as a big guy, on a big heavy bike I was planning to try mine at 20 (on and off road) sounds like this may be too high?

I need to run at 70mph for a while to get to "the spot"

Josh.

• HawkGT

Posted March 16, 2006 - 10:15 PM

606s do have a very stiff construction.

I run my 606s at 14 rear / 13 front in rocky desert terrain with HD tubes. I'm often tempted to bump that up to 15/15 for high speed rock protection but the front (especially) starts getting pretty slippery on pea gravel covered hardpack with anything above 13. I've been amazed at the difference in handling and traction with only 1-2 lb pressure changes. I weigh about 185 geared up.

I run 22/22 on the road.

ETA: I'm on an XRR

• SDBSKI

Posted March 17, 2006 - 07:35 AM

I just took a set of D606's off my 650L with about 2/3 tread left. I found I had to run with about 12lbs or less to hook up offroad and still traction was marginal. Fortunately they are so stiff they can be run that low with a rimlock without damage to the tire but when I hit a downhill rut, the front would hit hard like the tire bottomed on the rim. I didn't like them for serious offroad so I went to a D739 rear and MT-18HD front. The D739 is non DOT but the MT18 is DOT approved. The D739 is great offroad, but 0 miles on the MT18. I will check it out this weekend.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • roadcam

Posted March 17, 2006 - 09:03 AM

I dread having to change my 606 on the side of the road someday ... even the guy that spin-balanced and mounted mine said they were the toughest tire he ever mounted (and he did them on his machine !) ... :thumbsup:

• rkuckkahn

Posted March 17, 2006 - 09:50 AM

I had a hard time deciding between the MT-21 and 606. I finally settled on the MT-21 front and rear. They have turned out to be great in my opinion: 1/2 worn at 2000 miles (looks like I'll get 3,500 out of them), were fairly easy to change and balance, grip well off-road with 18 psi rear/15 front then I run around 20 street. They do have a little vibration on the road but normal for knobbies. I run 50/50 road/dirt and while I'm tempted to try the 606 I'll likely wait until I run another MT-21 rear because the front tire is no where near worn out (as is normally the case). I'd be interested in the life of the 606 since the MT-21's have been pretty good in that department.

• gaucho

Posted March 17, 2006 - 09:59 AM

I was extremely happy with my 17" D606 that I ran on my '85 xl350r. It lasted, rode good through hard and soft and I really didn't worry about it getting flat, I knew I could at least get home with those sidewalls of brick. :thumbsup:

• Dual_Dog

Posted March 17, 2006 - 05:43 PM

Wow. Old threads, like old habits, never die. Just goes to show you the everlasting effects of cyberspace, and that it might just be "you are what you write." :confused: Glad this was an okay thread. :thumbsup:

For an '06 update, I've got about 3.4K miles on my D-606 & it's done except for street riding, which is all my XRL sees nowadays. I've been running between 12 to 15 psi depending on conditions & terrain type. :bonk:

Now I'm thinkin' the XRL might be ready for an SM conversion. Still thinkin' bout it, though... :thumbsup:

• wr450fyamaha

Posted March 17, 2006 - 08:15 PM

i usualy run about negative 19 psi on the rear death wing and about 75 psi on the front.

• Mudshark

Posted March 17, 2006 - 09:20 PM

O.k. guys. I changed my mind about tires. I was dead set on gettin' a set of MT-21's. But I changed my mind. The rear TW "slick" had to go. After many inquiries to the local dealers & psycho shops, I found a pretty good deal on the Dunlop 606. Most everything I read and just about everyone I talked with said the 606 was "the" tire. :confused:

Long story still long, I've got a new 120/90-18 Dunlop 606 rear tire now. :thumbsup: Here's what's puzzling me. The damn thing barely had any air pressure in it from the shop and it's feels like its overinflated! I'm using a standard tube and I even put "more" air in it to raise the pressure 17 psi. :confused:

What kind of sidewall construction does this tire have? It's hard as a rock with virtually no air in it! How much pressure should I be running in this piece of rubber? It feels like 17 psi is way too much. :bonk:

Thanks in advance.

15lbs dude... that all it takes. :thumbsup:

• SDBSKI

Posted March 18, 2006 - 01:11 AM

They are 3 ply tread and sidewall which is probably common for a DOT tire to take the heat. My new MT-18HD DOT is also 3 ply. I ran the D606 just about flat with one rim lock. I let more and more air out to try to get some traction off road. I found them to be very greasy with more than 12psi due to the hard compound. They seem to work well in the sand but not great on hard pack with loose dirt on top. The front was almost dangerous with 20+ psi anywhere. They were on my bike when I got it and at 2/3 tread left, I'll keep them in case I get a set of street rims.

• DR. FeelGood

Posted August 03, 2015 - 09:41 PM

5psi front and back offroad. awesome. and i don't care if this thread is hella old. just giving other some search input. 

Edited by DR. FeelGood, August 03, 2015 - 09:41 PM.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  181 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.