14 yz450 are flame outs a problem?

8 replies to this topic
  • pieplatesnductape

Posted January 10, 2015 - 06:46 AM

May be able to get a good deal on a 14 yz450. Im coming from a crf450 that has too much of a tendency to flame out.  Im really leaning toward a 15 yz 2t, but thought Id ask about the 450 first. After having a flame out over a jump, I am completely intolerant of any flame out issues. Which if I understand late model efi, is almost every bike sold to some extent?

• rk8950

Posted January 10, 2015 - 01:53 PM

I have had 3 new hondas in the last 4 years and everyone has flamed out really bad. I never had one do it over a jump though. Mine would always do it coming into/out of a turn. My 14 yamaha has never done it.

• Goforaride

Posted January 10, 2015 - 05:19 PM

I do a lot of woods riding. Never have had a flame out with my '14

• Monk

Posted January 10, 2015 - 05:23 PM

I have a 15, flamed out twice, turned up the idle and richened the jetting, been perfect since....

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • stone881

Posted January 11, 2015 - 07:09 AM

I have a 15, flamed out twice, turned up the idle and richened the jetting, been perfect since....

Sorry OP this is a bit off topic....Monk what are the effects from changing elevation, if any, that you have seen?  I guess what I mean is, at higher altitude a bike needs to be leaned out.  How effective is the efi system on these bikes in regards to this and in setting up maps? Is this something that needs to be programmed in the map, or will the system adjust for this automatically? 

How will altitude affect flameouts?

• Monk

Posted January 11, 2015 - 07:21 AM

Sorry OP this is a bit off topic....Monk what are the effects from changing elevation, if any, that you have seen? I guess what I mean is, at higher altitude a bike needs to be leaned out. How effective is the efi system on these bikes in regards to this and in setting up maps? Is this something that needs to be programmed in the map, or will the system adjust for this automatically?

How will altitude affect flameouts?

No idea... Haven't ridden the bike anywhere of significant change. Will be riding at sea level tomorrow, 4000ft less then my regular riding area...

• grayracer513

Posted January 11, 2015 - 10:15 AM

The bike compensates for changes in altitude and temperature all by itself.  There is some debate about whether it does the adjustment once per ignition cycle on startup, or in real time "on the fly", but it nevertheless does compensate.

• Crusty Cy

Posted January 11, 2015 - 10:27 AM

Nope - no problems with my 2015. My 2011 and 2012 450's were very frustrating because of the flame out. In fact, went back to a 2 stroke for hare scrambles. Thinking about trying the '15 in a race because the fueling is so much better than the prior models.

• bigbird192

Posted January 11, 2015 - 11:05 PM

I have had my 14 flame out a handful of times, but only when I was following my kid around on his PW50. It seems that others have had good luck with mapping to alleviate the problem, but I haven't tried it yet.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.