Moving bars forward on 2015 450 for taller rider

4 replies to this topic
  • Kiwi YZF

Posted January 09, 2015 - 09:16 PM

Hello everyone,

Just after some advice for setting my bike up since i'm on the taller side (6,5) 

Since the the bike appears to have 2 mounting hole positions for the lower handlebar mounts (i assume this why there are 2 holes the manual doesn't say anything) an i likely to gain anything by moving the bars to the forward mounting holes (bit of extra bar height/space?) or could that actually harm the handling?

[/URL] [/URL]">http://DSC_0110_zps6d8d1a6d.jpg

Thanks for any help

• Drenmaster

Posted January 09, 2015 - 09:40 PM

It is actually four positions because you can turn the bar mounts 180 degrees as well.. You are taller than me. (6'1") but i did not like the stock bars on my '14 450. They felt too narrow and my elbows were in my side alot.  I bought the renthal RC high bend and it feels amazing. I was worried at first because the bars look huge on the bike, but once i rode standing up was so much easier and there is alot more room now..             

I had the stock bars as far forward as possible and the handling was fine. I recommend looking into some new bars that have a high bend to them. 

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Kiwi YZF

Posted January 09, 2015 - 10:01 PM

Thanks for that, i already run rethal windham high bars and fastway low pegs but still feel kind of awkward when on the pegs and feel like its hard to twist on the throttle because of the angle my arms end up at so still looking to fine tune a little bit still, i use bar risers too but a lot of people seem to think these hurt handling? but i guess at the end of the day you learn to ride your bike how you set it up its really only other people that might find handling issues but that could just be a random theory of mine

• motosinko805

Posted January 09, 2015 - 10:05 PM

Definitely move them to the forward position.

• GHILL28

Posted January 10, 2015 - 03:33 PM

All the way forward if you're tall.  I'm 6' and wouldn't have them any closer.

Tall bars on this bike REALLY hurt the handling and the ability to weight the front.  I took mine off immediately and went back to the stock bars.  Gonna just run the low pegs instead.

Related Content

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.