07-11 cams

8 replies to this topic
  • stevethe

Posted January 08, 2015 - 05:59 PM

Has anyone tried a Hotcam intake and a stock exhaust cam. Using both Hotcams loses torque but gains a screaming top end.
Interesting note it appears the fuel injected versions use the same exhaust cam as the earlier versions.

Edited by stevethe, January 08, 2015 - 05:59 PM.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted January 08, 2015 - 07:40 PM

Tons and tons and tons of posts on this subject

Hotcams YZ spec intake and exahust, if you get a set that has the correct decomp pin, and are timed correctly (both are rare) then you get gains all across the board.

But, my experinece has been the HOT CAMS SUCKS DONKEY BALLS when it comes to quality control, service, etc.  I've tried and tried to make their products work and have given up.

I will neve use them again.

If you want good gains without any loss, put in a '07 OEM YZ exahust cam to normal WR tooth timing, and be done with it.

If you want more, port the head.

• stevethe

Posted January 08, 2015 - 10:16 PM

Tons and tons and tons of posts on this subject

Hotcams YZ spec intake and exahust, if you get a set that has the correct decomp pin, and are timed correctly (both are rare) then you get gains all across the board.

But, my experinece has been the HOT CAMS SUCKS DONKEY BALLS when it comes to quality control, service, etc.  I've tried and tried to make their products work and have given up.

I will neve use them again.

If you want good gains without any loss, put in a '07 OEM YZ exahust cam to normal WR tooth timing, and be done with it.

If you want more, port the head.

There are lots of posts however no one has tried a Hotcam intake with a stock exhaust that I have read.

I believe my Hotcams are correct the exhaust pin is correct and the timing is correct. The issue is according to their numbers the WR cams are very hot top end cams. The sprockets could be pressed off and advanced to make them come on earlier. However they may be peaky a little lower.
I personally wouldn't use YZ cams due to the decompression pin difference. The GYTR cams for the new WR should have the right pin. I will probably play guinea pig and do the Hot cam intake with the stock WR exhaust. Unless anyone wants to split the cost of a 2012 WR GYTR set of cams. I would sell the intake for $250. Which is less than half the cost of new.

• beezer

Posted January 09, 2015 - 06:42 AM

The best my WR ever ran was with the stock intake and an 06 YZ exhaust cam.

The e-start didn't work well so I bought Hotcams.  the e-start worked but the bike had less low end.

I heard you can fix the YZ cams compression release by grinding the pin some.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • stevethe

Posted January 09, 2015 - 10:54 PM

The best my WR ever ran was with the stock intake and an 06 YZ exhaust cam.

The e-start didn't work well so I bought Hotcams. the e-start worked but the bike had less low end.

I heard you can fix the YZ cams compression release by grinding the pin some.

I think you are right about the YZ cam.
The YFZ quad people have Hugh posts about retarding the timing one tooth to get YZ specs.
So essentially if you want YZ cam timing you simply retard the exhaust cam one tooth with the stock WR camshaft.
I will likely try this with a hot cam intake timed in the stock position.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted January 10, 2015 - 04:02 PM

I think you are right about the YZ cam.
The YFZ quad people have Hugh posts about retarding the timing one tooth to get YZ specs.
So essentially if you want YZ cam timing you simply retard the exhaust cam one tooth with the stock WR camshaft.
I will likely try this with a hot cam intake timed in the stock position.

YFZ cams are different

YZ cam changed in 2006

WR cam changed in 2006 too.

• stevethe

Posted January 11, 2015 - 06:40 PM

So WR450 stock exhaust cam straight up. Hotcam intake.
Testing next weekend.

• jmesserer

Posted July 12, 2016 - 02:39 PM

@stevethe any update on this? I'm considering the same thing (stock exhaust cam & hotcam (stage 1) intake cam) in 2007 WR 450F. Generally, looking for low-end increase but across the board would be great.

• stevethe

Posted July 12, 2016 - 02:53 PM

@stevethe any update on this? I'm considering the same thing (stock exhaust cam & hotcam (stage 1) intake cam) in 2007 WR 450F. Generally, looking for low-end increase but across the board would be great.

I don't think you will get much of a low end increase from using a Hot cam intake. You will get more mid and top end. Probably loose some low end. If you use the Hot cam exhaust you loose all the bottom end.

If you are looking for low end punch with no hesitation I would send the carb to Zipty Racing and get all the mods done. Especially the emulsion tube mod. With this mod you loose nothing.

Edited by stevethe, July 12, 2016 - 02:55 PM.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.