2009 yz450f won't start, flooding itself

6 replies to this topic
  • Samcwach

Posted January 07, 2015 - 08:04 PM

Ok so I just bought this 09 yz450f. It's super clean and ok hours. Its had a recent top end including valves. It started 3rd kick when I was looking at it, and ran like a champ. I rode it also, plenty of power, and it didn't bog/want to die. There weren't any backfires/signs of valve clearance problems either. No abnormal sounds, ticks, ect. I drive the 2ish hours home, unload the bike, and now it won't start. It keeps flooding itself... so I take the tank, ect. off to get to the spark plug..and its wet as shit. I dry it off, wire brush it, and blow air into the combustion chamber to evaporate the fuel. Then I test the spark and its strong and blue. Then i put everything back together to find that within a few kicks the bike is backfiring and popping as I'm trying to start it. I am giving it zero throttle as I kick it also. It ran perfect before I hauled it home..and there is no way at all that it could've jumped timing. So I'm stumped. Probably going to tear it down after school tomorrow. Im thinking it could be a stuck float/needle valve..? There isn't any gas pissing out of the carb vent lines though. Thanks for everyone's help.

• FastRC45

Posted January 07, 2015 - 08:56 PM

If you've got the tank off, you're only about 2min away from having the valve cover off to check the timing... I just bought an 07 that I rode once, stalled and wouldn't start. Got it home and found the exhaust cam about 40 Deg out. Just bought a new chain and it was visibly shorter than the old one...

• Samcwach

Posted January 07, 2015 - 09:32 PM

Well it just had a top end done.. I've done a little thinking and I think that loading the bike in the truck caused the float to get stuck..it always used to happen to my brothers 1998 yz250 so the first thing I'm gonna do is pull the fuel bowl and see if the float was stuck

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • FastRC45

Posted January 08, 2015 - 09:03 PM

Mine was at 17hrs on a new top end. PO's shop didn't replace the cam chain. I'm with you on the stuck float, but like you said, it should have been dumping fuel out the overflow if that were the case... My old KX leaves a nice little puddle in the truck if I forget to close the petcock...

• Samcwach

Posted January 08, 2015 - 09:26 PM

Well I pulled the fuel bowl and found that the float was stuck. I flushed it out with some carb clean and it's free to move on it's own now. I haven't tried to start it yet though, going to get some o rings for the fitting the fuel like goes on to..it was leaking aswell. This top end has about 4 hrs on it. The pervious owner was very good about maintaining the bike...dates and hr. points are written in the back of my manual for everything he's done to it. And same with my old kx..I had a 500. Fast as &%$#@!.

• FastRC45

Posted January 11, 2015 - 04:47 PM

Good luck, hope that does it... I've got an old KX250, but if I ever get to the point where I can have a bike just for Glamis, a 500 is on my list. That actually gives me an idea - they're both green and my wife can't tell a KX500 from a Ninja500, hmmmm

• Samcwach

Posted January 11, 2015 - 08:22 PM

Kx500 supermoto and just have a spare set of tires hahaha

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.