Wiring in a battery on battery-less FI bikes

Electrical Batteries

5 replies to this topic
  • yz480doinwork

Posted January 06, 2015 - 04:57 PM

I worry about the generator in my turbo YZ (snowbike). Besides the fuel injection system, it is powering my secondary injection system, Koso multi-gauge, sometimes a radiator fan, sometimes my MCX data logger and I need to get a headlight, hand warmers would be nice too. 

I would like to mount a battery and wire it into the system so I don't have to worry about my stator burning up out in the woods. Has anyone done this? I am sure the wiring cant be as simple as I am thinking. Just wire the battery into the same harness I pull the rest of my power from, and have a switch? Obviously the injection system would be live at all times when the switch was on. Would this cause any problems? I also wonder if the battery would be at risk of over charging when I'm not using a bunch of juice? Electricians, I need your help!

Thanks

• grayracer513

Posted January 07, 2015 - 07:29 AM

Are you currently running everything off the stock AC system?  No rectifier, etc?

• yz480doinwork

Posted January 07, 2015 - 08:45 AM

I should have mentioned this is a 2012 model. So everything is spliced into the stock DC system, via baja designs harness.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted January 07, 2015 - 09:35 AM

Does make a difference.  That system actually has over 100w of DC power available already.  But, there shouldn't be a reason that you can't install a battery.  Naturally, it has to live only on the DC side of the rectifier.  You can simply tie it into most any point at which you have a red lead (DC 12V+) in the harness, but best will likely be to add a 16ga lead at the rectifier/reg and run a ground to the frame or to the common ground the circuit uses.  The battery needs to be of a type that's safely rechargeable, such as a lead/acid or a properly packaged (including a controller card) LiFe, etc.

• yz480doinwork

Posted January 07, 2015 - 10:57 AM

I wasn't aware that the yz system put out so many watts. I just hear horror stories about burnt out stators leaving guys stranded in the hills. When set up as a dune bike, the bike temporarily dies for a split second when I switch on my two fans. I wonder if a battery would cure that, I can't imagine that is too good for the system. I didn't figure the wiring would be quite that simple, I have heard talk of having to use diodes and other components. If I do try this out, I will just grab the battery out of my WR to start with.

• grayracer513

Posted January 07, 2015 - 01:28 PM

The thing is that the EFI YZF's already have a complete AC to DC system set up, so all the diodes and whatnot are there.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.