Triple Clamps 2012+

6 replies to this topic
  • mch

Posted January 03, 2015 - 10:38 PM

Any of you have experience bending triple clamps?  The last time I had my forks out I had a difficult time getting the clutch side fork in.  I had to take out the bolts that clamp down on the forks and spread both the upper and lower clamp to get them into the correct position and it was still really hard.  Today I serviced my forks and just remembered how much of a problem I had.  I think it took like 45+ minutes with just me doing it.  It seems the majority of binding is on the lower clamp (before it even starts going into the top clamp).  I knew there was an issue, so I tried installing that fork 1st with the throttle side fork off the bike.  I also loosened the steering stem nut.  I figure it has to be the fork or the triple clamp and the fork seems to work fine, so I'm leaning towards the clamp being the issue.  To get it out, I had to tap it out with a piece of wood and a hammer.  I can't remember anything in particular that would have caused this, but I have ran into things that I know were extra stress on the forks.

Any thing to add / thoughts?  Anyone makes nice aftermarket (direct bolt on) clamps that won't cost a fortune? 

• sherco67

Posted January 04, 2015 - 04:47 AM

Did my share of shopping for another set also, the yz ones I think are not as wide as wr also have different mount on top so would have to make bracket for speed-o, here is you best bet is to get another OEM for 100. on e-bay. unless you have about 400 to spend, good luck and here is auction. eBay item number:

• cubera

Posted January 04, 2015 - 06:18 AM

I always have a hard time getting the tubes to drop out on my WR. I use a wide chisel or screw driver and tap it into the clamp to spread it at the pinch bolts top and bottom and they'll drop right out and no damage to the caps from pounding.

They are bent a little but function perfectly once everything is all put back together right. Make sure not to over torque the pinch bolts. My left handle bar is a little bent too....Maybe I'm used to it.

Edited by cubera, January 04, 2015 - 06:22 AM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SAthump

Posted January 04, 2015 - 07:24 AM

The stock lower clamp is tight across the line, completely normal

I have a real small pry bar that fits in my tool box just for that

• mch

Posted January 05, 2015 - 09:00 AM

In another thread I remember someone getting bent out of shape when I recommended prying on the clamps to get the forks to slide in.  Maybe reaming it out with a ball hone is the answer? :)

• stevethe

Posted January 05, 2015 - 01:17 PM

I usually take the bolts out and use two very large screw drivers to open the clamps then slide the tubes in.

• fdme

Posted January 05, 2015 - 08:05 PM

As others have said, I take a large flat head screwdriver or pry bar, stick in the gap and push the flathead/prybar to spread the gap, (do this with my gut or leg) while I move the fork either in or out.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.