Wiring gremlin (with pictures)

6 replies to this topic
  • dweaver76

Posted January 01, 2015 - 09:02 PM

OK recovering from a horrible previous owner. Would this cut wire given it goes to the on/off switch stop me from getting spark?
And if so, do I just jumper the 2 red wires together to make it permantly "on"?

Attached Thumbnails

• 1420174922228.jpg

• flyandride

Posted January 01, 2015 - 09:42 PM

You need to splice that red wire together.  That connects to the brown when the switch is turned on.  With that red wire broken, the bike won't get a spark.  

The red/black and black go to the LED indicator in the switch.  

I see somebody has put in a grease fitting in the steering head.  Good idea.  One of the previous owners wasn't so bad.  

• dweaver76

Posted January 01, 2015 - 11:53 PM

Yeah that was the one good thing I've found on the bike so far.
Soldered that wire back together. Have spark still no start....back to the drawing board

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dweaver76

Posted January 01, 2015 - 11:58 PM

I'm lost. Tore down and cleaned carb. Verified I have spark. Checked and adjusted valves.
Still no start.

• flyandride

Posted January 02, 2015 - 07:25 AM

Sounds like it's time to do a leak down test.  Have you cleaned the tank and carb and replaced fuel line?  Fresh gas?  Have you ever seen the bike run?  

If you don't have a leak down tester, wire or wedge the weight on the exhaust cam so that the auto decomp doesn't work.  If you can kick over the engine then something's wrong.  Top end work needed.   

• Krannie McKranface

Posted January 02, 2015 - 07:29 AM

http://www.dirtrider...r_carb_rebuild/

• dweaver76

Posted January 02, 2015 - 09:29 AM

Never seen it run. Did clean the carb but it was really gummed up so just gonna get a new plug and all new jets today and make sure to rule those out. Plug ohmed good but can't hurt to try those.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.