Riding in sand?

4 replies to this topic
  • XrFreakXr

Posted February 07, 2004 - 01:27 AM

I'm still a newbie and was wondering how i should set up my suspension for sand. Also air pressure, i usually just leave it at about 15 psi. I know it is a good idea to lower psi on the tires of vehicles when 4 wheeling in sand. But the other day it seemed that riding with low pressure on soft terrain is not the way to go. Also sometimes my front wheel will wobble in sand, front suspension too soft or better tires? To tell you the truth, the previous owner bought tires for riding on a MX track. So I think that also adds to my bike's unstableness. It's a beast and i can handle it for the most part. But these bikes are damn good so im not giving up. :D :)

• Dutch

Posted February 07, 2004 - 03:35 AM

What I've learned about riding Michigan sand, which varies between sugar sand and talcum powder,
is to run the correct tires,
(for me S12's), 8-12 psi in the front and 10 psi rear.
A little more compression damping up
front helps also.
The most difficult part about learning to ride in sand
is that you need to remove your balls from your purse
and screw on the throttle.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • qadsan

Posted February 07, 2004 - 07:02 AM

1) Find good sand tires if you'll be riding in the sand a lot
2) Play with air pressures (lower than normal)
3) Increase compression dampening
4) Put your weight back while riding to keep the front end light
5) Don't make sudden changes in the throttle or the engine braking will cause the front to dig in and plow
6) Try staying consistant in your throttle while riding in a higher gear than usual and or no more than 1/2 throttle if there's lots of slower sandy sections to ride through
7) If you've got a fairly straight section of sand to ride through, then put your weight back, pin it WOT and hold on :D

In the faster sections I don't mind this bike in the sand, but if there's any slow technical sections with deep soft sand, then good luck :)

• Carlisle1972

Posted February 07, 2004 - 07:31 AM

in deep sand when your going slow it helps a bit if you move handlebars back and forth this helps to keep the wheel from digging down because of the increased surface area of your sidewlls, this will help steering and float bike to the top, also a steering dampener helps a lot. Lots of carefull gas, if in trouble gas it. Relax dont fight the bike.

• XR/CRDave

Posted February 07, 2004 - 10:36 AM

If I am riding in strickly sanddunes w/ no rocks I run the front tire very low. This helps alot. If there are rocks mixed w/ sand then I run a normal pressures, 12psi and just keep the gas on.

Related Content

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.