I let a friend ride 650R

28 replies to this topic
  • smashinz2002

Posted February 06, 2004 - 07:57 PM

I let a friend of mine ride my 650R (uncorked) this past weekend. He has a honda shadow cruiser (I've ridden it, it's pretty sluggish). Anyway, the 650R scared the living crap outa him. He didn't crash, but he did come right back, got off the bike, and said, forget it man, it's too much, that is insane, it tried to get out from under me.
I tried to explain to him that it's called "fun", not "insane". hahaha.

• mmxr650r

Posted February 06, 2004 - 08:10 PM

Classic...gotta love it...Sometimes, I honestly believe that some of the "street-riders" don't realize how much "punch" these things have! Great post...

• slip

Posted February 07, 2004 - 04:29 PM

Yeah, that reminds me of a time I switched bikes with a friend of mine. He also had a Shadow and I had a KLR650. He couldn't believe that a dirt bike had that much power. I know a KLR doesn't have the power of an R, but you get the idea. :) I was soo happy to get back on my dirt bike. :D

• PoorLilRich

Posted February 08, 2004 - 11:26 AM

ok im not into the trail bikes as much as mx bikes

uncorked? explain and can i uncork my 600

• smashinz2002

Posted February 08, 2004 - 06:39 PM

Poorlilrich; Uncorking means simply the removal of the EPA emissions equipment, along with richer carb jetting and a more open exhaust tip. The result of uncorking the bike is a large increase in power output over the stock configuration.
On the 600's, I'm not sure of how to do it. Also, I'm not sure of how the bikes come stock in Canada.

• PoorLilRich

Posted February 09, 2004 - 11:15 AM

Poorlilrich; Uncorking means simply the removal of the EPA emissions equipment, along with richer carb jetting and a more open exhaust tip. The result of uncorking the bike is a large increase in power output over the stock configuration.
On the 600's, I'm not sure of how to do it. Also, I'm not sure of how the bikes come stock in Canada.

ok thanks...does it take long to do or what.......im just curious about it thats all

• DualSport650

Posted February 09, 2004 - 06:03 PM

Uncorking the XR600 makes a WORLD of difference, since the XR600 in stock configuration has about as much power as a Honda Spree 50 scooter. (Sounds about the same too!)

When you uncork it, it puts out WAY MORE power, and has much better throttle response, and is a blast to ride.

Just be careful, I've almost crashed hard a couple times due to extra power and getting a bit too crazy.

Here's what I did to uncork my XR600:

1) Take the stock end-cap off the back of the muffler canister and throw it away. Get the White Bros Hot Tip that sells for about $55 at http://www.rockymountainmc.com

2) Open up the air box by ripping off the top lid.

3) Get a Uni filter - best $25 bucks I ever spent. Throw the stock one with the restrictive metal screen away.

4) Un-bolt and take off your header. Look in the 2 header pipes that come off your cylinder head and you'll see welds inside. BIG welds. During construction, they weld the flanges on with too much welding material which makes the hole smaller, therefore restricting flow. Get a drill with a grinder bit on it and grind the welds nice and smooth and open the hole up. Just don't get too "carried away" as you'll make the weld weak and the flanges will break off.

5) Get a competant mechanic to properly re-jet your carbureter. This will deliver more fuel to the air/fuel mixture making you go faster, do wheelys, etc.

Good luck! :) :D

• big t

Posted February 09, 2004 - 09:38 PM

I let a friend of mine ride my 650R (uncorked) this past weekend. He has a honda shadow cruiser (I've ridden it, it's pretty sluggish). Anyway, the 650R scared the living crap outa him. He didn't crash, but he did come right back, got off the bike, and said, forget it man, it's too much, that is insane, it tried to get out from under me.
I tried to explain to him that it's called "fun", not "insane". hahaha.

Yeah, the 650r is a blast when uncorked. :)

• PoorLilRich

Posted February 10, 2004 - 12:25 PM

whoa...can you do a few of those things or what?
i dont know how much time ill be able to spend at it

• DualSport650

Posted February 10, 2004 - 07:21 PM

Dude,

It's easy, eh.

Order the Hot Tip and Uni Filter. When they come, it will take you about 3-4 hours maximum to do the mods, then take it to a competent motorcycle mechanic to re-jet it.

Your bike will be way more fun when you do it. Then you'll get addicted to RAW TORQUE like me and want the XR650! That's what I'm saving up for, hence my username... :)

Ride On.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SoCalDirtDevil

Posted February 11, 2004 - 09:22 AM

I rode my XR650R for a few hundred miles before uncorking it. Granted it was darn fast stock but woohooo what a difference uncorking made in raw power. Not to mention the bike sounds way better now than stock. I swapped out the exhaust tip ($104) on the stock exhaust instead of drilling or springing for an after market exhaust ($230-275). Rejetting was a piece of cake with the Honda Service manual. The manual is probably the best $49 bucks I have spent to date. :)

Has anybody figured out how much faster your tires disappear on the uncorked bike vs. a corked one??? LOL :D

• PoorLilRich

Posted February 11, 2004 - 05:06 PM

tt'ers are great

thanks alot guys...i have to take my linkage apart on my 250f too :)

• irondude

Posted February 11, 2004 - 08:46 PM

"Get higher baby"
....after uncorking it....
Stage 2 cam, Barnumspro pipe, edelbrock pumper carb, cut out air filter cover...
Then the bike is kind of like sex and money and power and status and a cigar when your team wins and your buddies ask for advice and your dog salutes you....

• redpig

Posted February 14, 2004 - 03:46 PM

I ordered an Edelbrock Quiksilver Pimper for my Redpig. Any honest reveiws out there?

• big t

Posted February 15, 2004 - 06:57 AM

I plan on getting one in about a month. Everything I've heard on the Edelbrock has been very positive. No more flooding (that's what I'm after) and better throttle response.

• nonferrousdude

Posted February 15, 2004 - 11:38 AM

I tried the Edelbrock in Baja last week. Fantastic. Went down 3 times. The bike never stopped -- kept running on its side. Just went over, pulled in the clutch, picked it up, and went on. Fantastic, especially when compared to my last adventure in baja --getting stuck in the hot deep sand with a flooded carb, wondering when the buzzards were going to land. No thanks. I must have said about 30 times this trip, "I love this carb." Also starts like a dream, first kick virtually every time. Thanks Rob Barnum.
Ed

• XR/CRDave

Posted February 15, 2004 - 02:26 PM

Sounds like just what I need, once in awhile I struggle to get the pig started. Most likely I am hurrying, so I do not loose my friends, (they would eventually come back) and I am not doing the starting drill right. Notice any performance gains?

• nonferrousdude

Posted February 15, 2004 - 03:38 PM

I haven't, likely because I'm a total novice. Wide open throttle on either carb sent my eyeballs towards the back of my head. But neither noticeably further than the other. Very easy to install. After the uncork-a-rectomy, it would be my first upgrade. It takes alot away the frowns from kicking it over and adds to the smiles of riding it. I'm not even dreaming about an e-start anymore!

• PoorLilRich

Posted February 15, 2004 - 05:03 PM

hey
your 600 or 650 ever backfire REALLLY loud when your trying to start it..it scares the hell out of you
my 250f does it too
shoots a big flame out the pipe

• smashinz2002

Posted February 15, 2004 - 06:52 PM

Hey dude, my 650R has never backfired, ever. That sounds like something ain't right man. Basically it means fuel is building up in the exhaust system, then being ignited. Could be an overly rich condition, or maybe the bike was flooded, not sure though.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.