'14 chain slack issue

3 replies to this topic
  • Goforaride

Posted December 30, 2014 - 02:33 PM

The manual says 50-60 mm of slack measured from the upper slider bolt to the the bottom of the chain with the rear wheel off the ground. This is the procedure I have been following and I have been running exactly 50mm of slack which measures to 3 fingers worth. The issue is that my chain looks excessively loose when under weight and I'm getting tons of chain slap. Even a couple riding buddies "KTM guys" have commented how loose my chain looked. What are you all running for slack?

• grayracer513

Posted December 30, 2014 - 03:03 PM

Like they have room to talk.   The thing is that the chain is tightest as the swing arm passes through the point where the centers of the rear wheel, swing arm pivot, and axle are aligned.  It has to have 1/4" of true slack per foot of span between the sprockets (about 1/2" in most cases)at that point or all kinds of crazy crap can happen, from just breaking the chain, to collapsing the rear hub by pulling the sprocket off of it, to pulling the output shaft out the back of the gearbox (a KTM trick, coincidentally).  You don't want to go there. 

Do it by the book.  Bike on the stand, all that. I know it looks loose.  Check this out:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Goforaride

Posted December 30, 2014 - 03:57 PM

Got it. I just figured the chain slap was a sign that they were right. Wouldn't be the first time a manual had a typo

• rr558

Posted December 30, 2014 - 07:30 PM

A guy we rode with snapped two chains on his 15 450 this past weekend . The second time didnt end well luckily he walked away bike not so much .

Related Content

WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  106 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.