2014 YZ450F oil change - oil strainer, oil pressure check

4 replies to this topic
  • mx4u2c

Posted December 30, 2014 - 11:47 AM

So, I just picked up a new 2014 YZ450F.  New to Yamahas, but not new to four strokes...haven't even ridden it yet, but I was looking through the manual and in the section where it discusses the oil change steps, which seem very simple and straightforward, it also shows a couple of extra steps that I never took on other four strokes.

There an oil strainer that it says to check, as well as loosening an oil pressure check bolt to ensure that the oil pressure is coming up.  Do people actually do these two steps with every oil change?  What is an oil strainer?  Is this similar to the oil screen on a KX that does not need to get checked as often?  I can see where it is and it certainly looks easy to check, but I am just not sure what it actually does.

Just thought I would ask before taking these extra steps if they are not totally necessary.

• drtrcr400

Posted December 30, 2014 - 12:17 PM

The oil strainer "filters" the oil being drawn to the oil pump to help prevent relatively large materials from damaging it. I pull mine and clean it every 2-3 oil changes but that is a habit I developed after trending how dirty it gets. I don't need to check it that often according to my observations but better safe than sorry. It is wise to stock up on a few extra oil filter housing and strainer o-rings for regular maintenance. 

I only do the pressure check procedure after major maintenance or repairs. Once again, a habit developed after many years of riding Yamaha 4 strokes. 

Edited by drtrcr400, December 30, 2014 - 12:17 PM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mx4u2c

Posted December 30, 2014 - 12:34 PM

Thanks for the information and feedback.  I will make it a point to check it periodically and monitor it and adjust my approach/timing as necessary.

I assume that the strainer might collect more "stuff" initially simply due to breaking in the motor.

• grayracer513

Posted December 30, 2014 - 02:33 PM

The "strainer" is not to be confused with the the oil filter. The filter is the same one that's been used in YZF models since '98, as far as form factor goes.  The media has been changed over time, of course.  The strainer is what you might call the "pick up screen", a sort of pre-filtering to keep big pieces out of the oil pump.  On the older dry sump models, this particular screen was not serviceable except by splitting the cases.  With these, you need to remove the flywheel cover; still a bit complicated, but not really hard, at all.

On a brand new bike, I might check the strainer fairly often (twice, maybe) during the first 25 hours or so, then maybe every six months, depending on how the bike is used.  The oil filter I would clean (I use a Scotts) or replace with every oil change.

Four-strokes will not live more than a few minutes without oil pressure under the most ideal circumstances.  In truth, it's not the pressure as much as the continuous flow of oil to the critical lube points.,  Volume is more important than pressure, but pressure demonstrates an ability to deliver.  Unless you fail to refill the engine, you will not be without oil pressure after changing the oil as long as you had it before the change.  There will be a moment, just a few seconds, when there won't be any because the filter well is refilling, stuff like that, but you're much more likely to loose oil pressure because of some failure at speed than just because you changed oil.  I very seldom ever do the oil pressure check, myself. 

The '14 is also the first YZ450F that was ever a true wet sump design. No more separate storage and sump volumes. Good thing? Mmmm...

• mx4u2c

Posted December 31, 2014 - 06:00 AM

Hey grayracer513, thanks for the feedback.  Yup, I'm well aware of where the oil filter is, and how to change it...I had just never seen this oil strainer before, but assumed it was akin to the oil screen on my KX that is kind of behind the flywheel.

I'll keep in mind your recommendation of checking twice during the first 25 hours and then every six months.  Sounds like about the same time interval as the KX oil screen and serves the same function.  The YZ oil strainer is definitely easier to get to as compared to the KX oil screen!  Thanks much --

Related Content

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.