*New bike / 2014 YZ450f / 2 quick questions!

5 replies to this topic
  • devilsslide

Posted December 30, 2014 - 10:03 AM

Just stepped off my 2004 YZ450f and into a brand new 2014 YZ450f ! Had it in the desert last weekend and a lot to get used to here... 

Question. Is it normal for the clutch to be 3/4 of the way out before it engages?

My 2004 engaged pretty quickly upon release, maybe at about 1/3 of the way out...

The other thing is the herky / jerkiness of it. Been combing through threads, and it seems that the best mods for that are mapping and heavier flywheel.

Will a heavier flywheel lessen the engine braking upon release of the throttle? I sure hope it does. 

Thanks In advance guys! 

Edited by devilsslide, December 30, 2014 - 01:02 PM.

• grayracer513

Posted December 30, 2014 - 02:56 PM

As to the catch point of the clutch, be sure you have the required 3mm of free cable travel at the lever.

The flywheel will naturally reduce engine braking "a little".  So will raising the idle speed. But what I always recommend is that you learn to use engine braking.  It's a whole other tool you have that you can't get from a two-stroke, and if it seems excessive at any one moment, there's a twist control on the right handle bar and a lever on the left that you can control it with.   If you really, really can't live with it, you can reduce or eliminate it with a back-torque limiting ("slipper") clutch ($$$).

• devilsslide

Posted December 30, 2014 - 03:18 PM

As to the catch point of the clutch, be sure you have the required 3mm of free cable travel at the lever.

The flywheel will naturally reduce engine braking "a little".  So will raising the idle speed. But what I always recommend is that you learn to use engine braking.  It's a whole other tool you have that you can't get from a two-stroke, and if it seems excessive at any one moment, there's a twist control on the right handle bar and a lever on the left that you can control it with.   If you really, really can't live with it, you can reduce or eliminate it with a back-torque limiting ("slipper") clutch ($$$).

Thanks Gray. You helped me out in 2004 with my original YZ450f ! 

As far as the catch point goes, where is it best place to adjust the clutch so that it "catches/engages" at halfway out from full engagement (lever pulled in), rather than the 3/4 out that it takes now? 

Yes, I loved the engine braking when switching from a 2 smoker, but compared to my 2004 450f, my 2014 stops abruptly off-throttle, leading to the 'herky/jerky' feeling. I also had a heavier flywheel on my 2004, but maybe I'll just get used to this new one with more seat time. 

Thanks again

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jmack

Posted December 31, 2014 - 08:15 AM

Devilsslide- Buy or borrow a GYTR Tuner for the 2014 Yz450.  Here is link to some different Map settings. https://www.yamahapa...rtunerchart.pdf

I picked up my new 2014 Yz450 last week and received my GYTR Tuner in the mail yesterday. Last night I tried a couple of the different maps and rode the bike around the yard. It made the bike more smooth.

I also have a steahly 9oz fly wheel weight and G2 Throttle tamer coming in the mail for the bike. I will be testing these additions over the weekend.

• grayracer513

Posted December 31, 2014 - 08:25 AM

What's probably at work with the clutch is that it's "too perfect".  All the plates are settled in completely and still totally flat, so it releases "cleaner" than normal for now.  I imagine the catch point will migrate inward as the clutch assumes a more typical condition. 

Catch point, where you have any freedom to adjust it, is a personal preference, like handlebars.  As long as you have free play at the lever, you can set it up as you like it.

• devilsslide

Posted December 31, 2014 - 10:46 AM

Devilsslide- Buy or borrow a GYTR Tuner for the 2014 Yz450.  Here is link to some different Map settings. https://www.yamahapa...rtunerchart.pdf

I picked up my new 2014 Yz450 last week and received my GYTR Tuner in the mail yesterday. Last night I tried a couple of the different maps and rode the bike around the yard. It made the bike more smooth.

I also have a steahly 9oz fly wheel weight and G2 Throttle tamer coming in the mail for the bike. I will be testing these additions over the weekend.

thanks jmack. I finally tracked one down and will try the first first setting for "Smooth delivery; longer power feeling", then go from there. I will be able to test it tomorrow in Ocotillo Wells. Let me know how the flyweight goes for ya, as I think I will probably opt for the GYTR flywheel in the near future. 

and also, thanks again Gray!

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.