Project 2003 WR450 from the grave

13 replies to this topic
  • dweaver76

Posted December 29, 2014 - 11:44 AM

Hi guys. Been a while since I've posted here.
So my wife got me a project bike while I was in Afghanistan this last summer.
A non running plated 03 WR450. Now I've worked and sold many just for the love of the WR and tinkering but this one I plan to be my keeper.

Previous owner did an awful hack job of scrap yard parts and wires to get it plated and its more of a mess than I'm interested in.
Want to make this a light, cheap trail bike.
In eliminating the clusterf$#k of wiring the PO put on I'm looking at gutting all the wiring and E-start for simplicity and cost.
In short what wiring is minimum needed to get spark and keep the bike running?
Cleaning the carb today and will be doing a valve adjust and compression check this week to hopefully fire it up this weekend.

After that comes the ton of bearings and for seals that need repair.
Thanks as always.

• dweaver76

Posted December 30, 2014 - 05:58 PM

OK last part was obviously to wordy. Checking valves before a compression check. Within spec but the cams don't line up at TDC. Picture attached.
That look like a mod or possibly after market cams?
Picture

Attached Thumbnails

• 1419991075025.jpg

• dweaver76

Posted December 30, 2014 - 06:00 PM

Lobes at TDC

Attached Thumbnails

• 1419991201468.jpg

• dweaver76

Posted December 30, 2014 - 06:40 PM

Disregard that compression check. Forgot about auto decomp on these.

• flyandride

Posted December 30, 2014 - 08:16 PM

If that's at TDC then the cam timing is off.  Here's what it should look like.  This is an 09.

cams.jpg

• dweaver76

Posted December 30, 2014 - 09:23 PM

That's what I though just wasn't sure if timing is changed in case its a Hotcam.
Next up...what does this black electronic part do? Wire was cut by previous owner.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1420003399076.jpg

• dweaver76

Posted December 30, 2014 - 09:24 PM

Only about $500 for the bike....starting to lean towards parting it out.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • still2smokin

Posted December 30, 2014 - 09:50 PM

That's what I though just wasn't sure if timing is changed in case its a Hotcam.
Next up...what does this black electronic part do? Wire was cut by previous owner.

Could be wrong but believe that is the neutral safety switch, probably cut so will start with the button in gear w/o clutch being pulled in.

Also could be wrong , Some achieve the same function by fusing the clutch switch wires together . One or both affect the ignition

timing a bit .

Download a manual in the links at the top of the WR forum and check out the wiring diagram to be sure .

Why would you even think about parting a plated WR in CA , that's just crazy talk .

Where in CA are you ?

• dweaver76

Posted December 30, 2014 - 10:05 PM

A bit north of Sac. Have the manual and all wiring diagrams I've found so far are for lights or are generic.

Looking for minimum wiring that will get me spark.

• still2smokin

Posted December 30, 2014 - 10:34 PM

A bit north of Sac. Have the manual and all wiring diagrams I've found so far are for lights or are generic.

Looking for minimum wiring that will get me spark.

There plenty of people on this forum more experienced than me but , if your wiring diagram is generic in any way you do not have the

the Yamaha Factory manual . It is very clear , wire colors and all . I had a wiring issue getting  only intermittent spark for a while and the factory manual

has procedures on testing all of the electrical components except the CDI . In the end I had a faulty connection to the coil/sparkplug 

connector at the wiring harness .  Not saying that is your problem , just start eliminating possible problems .

Is your battery good ?

Best way to check actual spark is with another spark plug, leave original in the head ( or could have a fire , seen it before ) and extra plug attached

to coil and ground to engine while kicking .

Edited by still2smokin, December 30, 2014 - 10:35 PM.

• dweaver76

Posted December 30, 2014 - 10:39 PM

Battery was dead when I got it and starter is now removed. Starter bolts were loose and I just eliminated it probably for good.
Think you reposted my same picture in your example picture.

• flyandride

Posted December 31, 2014 - 01:48 PM

That's the neutral switch.  Mine has Hotcams also.  

• dweaver76

Posted December 31, 2014 - 02:01 PM

flyandride are your cams offset at tdc like mine are in the picture I posted?

• Wristrockit

Posted January 02, 2015 - 06:10 AM

Battery was dead when I got it and starter is now removed. Starter bolts were loose and I just eliminated it probably for good.
Think you reposted my same picture in your example picture.

He did.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.