Do I have my spring in correct?

10 replies to this topic
  • Mtrain730

Posted December 28, 2014 - 08:34 AM

Hey guys 2012 yz450 Is the bigger end of the shock spring on the top or bottom? Thanks.

• grayracer513

Posted December 28, 2014 - 12:38 PM

The small end is normally on the bottom.  It should be obvious that it fits the associated spring seat better one way or other.

• Dexter42

Posted December 28, 2014 - 01:28 PM

The small end is normally on the bottom. It should be obvious that it fits the associated spring seat better one way or other.

If installed with the small end in top, should I be concerned?

• grayracer513

Posted December 28, 2014 - 02:33 PM

If it doesn't rub anything, or touch anywhere that it shouldn't, the spring can't tell the difference. It could even be right.

• Mtrain730

Posted December 28, 2014 - 04:54 PM

I installed mine with small end on top and it does seem fine but now your making me want to flip it around and see how every thing fits.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Mtrain730

Posted December 28, 2014 - 06:02 PM

If it doesn't rub anything, or touch anywhere that it shouldn't, the spring can't tell the difference. It could even be right.

Grey or dexter maybe you can tell me if what I am about to say is correct. This might be a stupid thing to say but a buddy of mine has the same bike as me I called him he had no way to measure the spring but he said the spring starts and goes in a clock wise direction starting at the top. If my spring starts from the top and goes clockwise it's installed the same way his is correct?His spring has never been out of his bike and he bought it brand new so his is installed like it came from the factory.

• Dexter42

Posted December 28, 2014 - 06:39 PM

Grey or dexter maybe you can tell me if what I am about to say is correct. This might be a stupid thing to say but a buddy of mine has the same bike as me I called him he had no way to measure the spring but he said the spring starts and goes in a clock wise direction starting at the top. If my spring starts from the top and goes clockwise it's installed the same way his is correct?His spring has never been out of his bike and he bought it brand new so his is installed like it came from the factory.

I like your observation and train of thought!! I have my buddy's bike here in my garage that has not been taking apart either from factory and his is the same way. If you stare down at it from above, it coils down in the CW manner as well. Mine does too.. Stoked! Thanks mtrain.

Edited by Dexter42, December 28, 2014 - 06:49 PM.

• mikedabike

Posted December 28, 2014 - 07:31 PM

It will coil down "clockwise" regardless of which end is up.  I never thought about it but my aftermarket springs (factory connection) are labeled and installed with the writing up and that puts the small end at the bottom.

• Dexter42

Posted December 28, 2014 - 07:40 PM

It will coil down "clockwise" regardless of which end is up. I never thought about it but my aftermarket springs (factory connection) are labeled and installed with the writing up and that puts the small end at the bottom.

Good observation, back to square one.

• Mtrain730

Posted December 28, 2014 - 07:41 PM

It will coil down "clockwise" regardless of which end is up. I never thought about it but my aftermarket springs (factory connection) are labeled and installed with the writing up and that puts the small end at the bottom.

i just realized that a few minutes ago when I climbed under the bike hey I tried. Lol

• Mtrain730

Posted December 29, 2014 - 08:24 AM

I flipped the spring around and it does seem to fit the spring seat better. I don't see why it would be a huge problem the other way But I think it did come with the big end at the top of the shock.

Edited by Mtrain730, December 29, 2014 - 08:26 AM.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.