What kind of mileage/range 12-14 WR450?

10 replies to this topic
  • Slow and Jerky

Posted December 27, 2014 - 05:47 AM

I am wondering what kind of range you guys are getting on your stock tank? I do one race a year, with two fifty-mile loops. The rest of the time I do about forty mile (or less) loops trail riding. The stock tank is supposed to 2.1 gallons (according to the specs) the IMS tank is 3 gallons. I'm just wondering if it is worth spending the money.

• Nuklhed

Posted December 27, 2014 - 07:02 AM

Bone stock, I took mine to the mountains.  At ~33 miles with the stock tank, the gas light came on.  I rode another 25 miles without a hiccup.  So, that seemed odd considering the light comes on (or is supposed to come on with about 1 gallon left).

I bought the IMS tank. It fit alright (the front bracket had to be bent a little and the trim job on the side plastics wasn't too bad.  It fit well enough, looks not too different from stock.

Having 3 gallons makes me a bit more relaxed about 70 mile loops that I wouldn't attempt with the stock tank and the richer condition I've induced in the bike by mapping the ECU.

It was worth it, to me.

• YamaLink

Posted December 27, 2014 - 08:17 AM

For me it depends on muddy vs dry, sandy, etc. If I'm on the gas HARD the mileage drops about 20% no matter what. I detest wearing backpacks but it's a necessary evil often times, and will carry spare gas to dump quickly as opposed to riding a wider tank all the time.

• GP1K

Posted December 27, 2014 - 10:44 AM

Depends a LOT on your FI mapping. You could tune for max mileage, though that may not be the best power delivery.

I went with the IMS 3.0 tank on mine, half again as much range, and the natural color lets you see how much is left.

• cwr12

Posted December 30, 2014 - 05:21 PM

I ran IMS tanks for a lot of years on YZ's it was always a piece of mind knowing the tank would outlast me. But on this WR I get 55 miles out of a tank typically. If I'm riding a lot of sand it drops to about 50. I always carry spare gas in a stainless steel bottle in my pack if I'm going on a long ride or the ride involves a lot of sand. If it's a gentlemens ride I don't bother. I've gotten to the point now when I know when my light is going to come on on certain rides. I can't see adding anymore wieght to this bike, so I'm going to stick with this plan.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Slow and Jerky

Posted December 30, 2014 - 05:34 PM

I ran IMS tanks for a lot of years on YZ's it was always a piece of mind knowing the tank would outlast me. But on this WR I get 55 miles out of a tank typically. If I'm riding a lot of sand it drops to about 50. I always carry spare gas in a stainless steel bottle in my pack if I'm going on a long ride or the ride involves a lot of sand. If it's a gentlemens ride I don't bother. I've gotten to the point now when I know when my light is going to come on on certain rides. I can't see adding anymore wieght to this bike, so I'm going to stick with this plan.

Are you running stock exhaust/ecm? I'm leaning toward the carrying extra gas option, I really like the feel of the bike as it is. I ran oversize tank on my YZ and loved the capacity but I suspect it sort of through it's balance off a bit.

• cwr12

Posted December 30, 2014 - 05:48 PM

Yes the bike has all the mods and I'm running the GYTR off road map. My concern is making the bike feel top heavy. I went to a lithium battery and it made a big differance. So adding more wieght up top is not what I want to do. My buds say well don't fill it up, but I don't start anyride without a full tank of gas, because you never know. I love the way this bike handles so I'm not going to mess with it.

• offrd beatr

Posted December 30, 2014 - 08:39 PM

Not convinced that adding weight to your backpack is better than adding it to the gas tank. The tank sits lower than you can. You guys say that you are worried about adding weight up high but it's pretty hard to get it higher than you are now.

• Slow and Jerky

Posted December 31, 2014 - 06:55 AM

Not convinced that adding weight to your backpack is better than adding it to the gas tank. The tank sits lower than you can. You guys say that you are worried about adding weight up high but it's pretty hard to get it higher than you are now.

Your right that carrying the gas in a backpack puts the weight up high but my thinking  on this is that most of the time I won't need to carry extra gas, just once in a while.

Did anyone that has gone with  a bigger tank notice a difference in handling?

• offrd beatr

Posted December 31, 2014 - 06:12 PM

Negligible difference between the stocker and the ims handling wise. I notice the width while sitting down but not really while standing. The big difference is the lack of range anxiety that I feel. Not scared to get out of sight of the truck now!!

• cwr12

Posted January 01, 2015 - 03:49 PM

On my back I really don't notice it as much. When the light comes on, I dump it and don't notice it all. But I do miss not having range anxiety. I still may do it someday and will probably stick with the IMS as well. Probably after I get my 250FX and turn the WR into strictly desert.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.