Thunder alley -???

18 replies to this topic
  • huffa

Posted February 02, 2002 - 11:42 AM

Would like to hear how these work on the 2001 426 and if there extremly loud? Also how is the fit on them? Anything negative about them?

• Odie

Posted February 02, 2002 - 05:44 PM

Hey Huffa,

I just installed mine about a week ago. Installation was a breeze. I did a few before & after test blasts up & down the street. The first thing I noticed was that this pipe is "LOUD". I don't think it's as loud as some of the others I've heard like the WB E-series but it's definitely a little louder than I expected. It sounds so "BAD ASS" though. Next thing I noticed was the bike just kept wanting to loft that front wheel. This pipe rips. I never thought a slip-on muffler could make this much difference. I'm very surprised that none of the magazines have tested this unit yet!!! So to answer your questions - yes - it's louder than stock. The fit is excellent. All the holes line up perfectly. The pipe rips. My only complaint is that it's not nickel plated - the pipe before the silencer is bare metal and that will require some regular maintenance to keep it rust free. I am looking for places that might be able to nickel plate it in my area. Or like some others have mentioned - a ceramic coating.

Later,
Odie

[ February 02, 2002: Message edited by: Odie ]

• otmxguy

Posted February 03, 2002 - 05:17 AM

I agree with Oldie. The pipe works, it is loud and it needs some TLC between rides to keep it looking good. I use ear plugs, so the noise doesn't bother me soem much.

• Shawn_Mc

Posted February 04, 2002 - 03:42 PM

Im loving my Thunder Alley. I didnt notice it being louder than my Pro Circuit T-4, but it was kinda worked when I made the swap. Im acutally having my thunder alley ceramic coated right now so that it will be easier to keep clean. I also let the guy talk me into a heat barrier coating, he said it helped a lot with the bottom end on his 250F when he did it. IF your thinking about a pipe, go Thunder Alley. You'll get a hand built, works pipe, that will amaze you. Call Bob Murray at 559-584-8109. Tell him shawn from orange county sent ya.

• motoman393

Posted February 04, 2002 - 04:22 PM

Posted Image

http://www.taliaferr...lley/index.html

• huffa

Posted February 05, 2002 - 12:24 AM

Anyone know the weight saving it has.

• Shawn_Mc

Posted February 05, 2002 - 09:51 AM

I dont think the weight savings is really worth talkin about. Your lap times will be better, you can bet on that.

• Hayseed

Posted February 05, 2002 - 12:33 PM

Originally posted by Shawn Mc:
I dont think the weight savings is really worth talkin about. Your lap times will be better, you can bet on that.

It is lighter than the stocker, but I don’t have a scale and can’t say by how much.

My bike is currently disassembled, I’ve yet to install my Thunder Alley pipe, but I heard a few guys saying this system resulted in melted side panels. Has this happened to you guys (Odie, otmx, Shawn)?

I ordered mine with a spark arrestor for off-road stuff, this means mine does not have an angled stinger, or any stinger, so it will probably stain my rear fender.

But before I put it on if they are melting side panels in a specific place then perhaps I can address that before I toast my new sidepanels and preprinted backgrounds (expensive stuff).

• 426Brent

Posted February 06, 2002 - 02:26 AM

I received and installed my Thunder Alley last night. To me it doesn't seem that much louder than stock. When I ordered it, I ask Bob about the melting side panel issue and he told me he had changed the pipe a little to prevent the melting. The problem was that Yamaha makes several different kinds of side panels and some would be up against the pipe while some wouldn't. I guess after he discovered all the different types of panels he changed his design to fit the closest fitting panel. Be prepared to tinker with the jetting after you install the pipe as mine developed a bog down low which it didn't have before installation. For those of you who fit the pipe onto the stock header pipe, did you use any sort of gaskit or just slip pipe over pipe?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Odie

Posted February 06, 2002 - 03:49 AM

I have the slip-on. No gasket required, it's just a slip-fit.

As far as the melting side panels go - I don't know yet. It's winter here and we won't be doing any riding for another month or so. I did manage to blast it up and down the street a couple of times - it didn't melt the panel then. But the pipe is uncomfortably close to the panel. I don't see how it wouldn't melt it under normal riding conditions. I considered getting the pipe ceramic coated, but here in NY, they want $175-$200 for that. That is a little steep. So maybe I'll use some heat (header) tape. Not crazy about that idea though. A buddy of mine owns a body shop and he was telling me about this heat resistant spray on product that his shop uses to dress up hot rod motors. I'll have to check it out this weekend as he's applying it to a '69 GTO.

I haven't messed with the jetting yet - it's 30 degrees outside and that can wait. However I did not notice any bog what so ever during my street blasts. All I noticed were all the neighbors running to there windows :)

later,
Odie

• Shawn_Mc

Posted February 06, 2002 - 08:07 AM

The whole melting sidepanel thing came about when I demo'd my pipe at Elsinore. He (Bob) hadnt had a problem with it during his fitting on the bike and panel he was using. It melted my Acerbis panel, and I talked to him about it and he ran the pipe further inside for me. He then changed the route. If the pipe isnt touching, it wont melt the panel. Just for safetys sake I took the big washer out off the high mount and space the low mount out about 3/16. After making that change, 0 problems. I did go to a larger main jet(168), also went with a larger pilot (45) and I rasied the needle 1 position from where it was. But I did do the BK mod also. But when I test the pipe on a straight swap, the only difference was the main from stock 162 to 168. I had a procircuit pipe at the time. I just had my pipe ceramic coated yesterday, havent had time to even start it yet. I didnt do it to avoid burning the panel though, just to make it easier to keep the pipe from rusting. Man, it does look bitchen though. My scoot is so dang perty, almost of afraid to get'er dirty. :)

• Odie

Posted February 06, 2002 - 08:23 AM

Ok - I looked into that spray on product that I mentioned earlier. It's called Dupli-Color High Heat Engine Paint with Ceramic. It's available in an assortment of colors (black, red, blue, aluminum, etc). It supposedly resists heat up to 1200 degrees. It's available through some speed shops and it costs $5.99 for a 12oz. can. My buddy obvioulsy buys it by the pint as he is applying it through his spray guns. Like I said, I'll check it out this weekend when he does that car. He swears by it - I don't know. I am only looking into this for ease of maintanence. I had a Pro Circuit Works (bare) pipe before - that sucked. Contant maintanence to keep the thing from rusting. After that, I always bought the nickel plated ones - until now.

Shawn,
I bet your pipe does look bitchin'. Dude - post us a picture.

Later,
Odie

• Hayseed

Posted February 06, 2002 - 12:27 PM

Shawn and Odie

Thanks for the tips on the spacers/washers and paint (or maybe even coating). Good ideas.

• sirthumpalot

Posted February 06, 2002 - 01:01 PM

If you go to the parts store you can find spray paint specifically for exhaust headers (or at least you used to be able to find it years ago when I bought a can <G>). I used it on a 2-stroke stinger pipe (the pipe was not coated or painted) and it worked pretty good. It may be worth a try if you don't want to spring for nickle plating, especially if the area that you want to paint is hidden from view.

• motoman393

Posted February 06, 2002 - 01:38 PM

Whenever I buy a TA pipe I will be spray painting the midsection with grill paint! Grill paint is durable and it is made for high temps, and it is cheap @ $4 a can. Later,

Garrett

• Shane

Posted February 06, 2002 - 01:57 PM

We put heat resistant tape on the inside of the plastic, the pipe is quite a was away but we did it just to be safe, it isnt noticable unles you look under the back fender. That may not be the best way to go but its cheap and it works.

• JBM

Posted February 07, 2002 - 05:47 AM

Odie,
I've used that exact product, Dupli-Color engine paint with ceramic and it worked well. I didn't use it on an exhaust pipe though, but I'm sure it would work just fine. I got it at NAPA for about $5.

• intothumpin

Posted February 08, 2002 - 06:44 AM

What's the deal Shawn? no plug for the guys who did the Ceramic Coating? I am glad you like it! It should also help protect the plastic. By the way Embee Performance Coatings offers all TTer's a discount. PM me for details. we do Ceramic Exhaust Coating, Piston Coatings & Powder Coating.

Originally posted by Shawn Mc:
The whole melting sidepanel thing came about when I demo'd my pipe at Elsinore. He (Bob) hadnt had a problem with it during his fitting on the bike and panel he was using. It melted my Acerbis panel, and I talked to him about it and he ran the pipe further inside for me. He then changed the route. If the pipe isnt touching, it wont melt the panel. Just for safetys sake I took the big washer out off the high mount and space the low mount out about 3/16. After making that change, 0 problems. I did go to a larger main jet(168), also went with a larger pilot (45) and I rasied the needle 1 position from where it was. But I did do the BK mod also. But when I test the pipe on a straight swap, the only difference was the main from stock 162 to 168. I had a procircuit pipe at the time. I just had my pipe ceramic coated yesterday, havent had time to even start it yet. I didnt do it to avoid burning the panel though, just to make it easier to keep the pipe from rusting. Man, it does look bitchen though. My scoot is so dang perty, almost of afraid to get'er dirty. :)

• Shawn_Mc

Posted February 08, 2002 - 09:15 AM

Into ya gotta let me ride the thing fer I start pluggin the deal! But man I does look bitchen. Embee did a really good job, looks like polished aluminum. I asked about powder coating the frame he said 150, he also said they do a bunch of pro riders bikes and they know where to mask and where not so thats good. Im wondering if a clear powder coat will stick to a polished surface. IF so, I could literally go insane with my scoot. Imagine the swing arm polished and not having to chase the polish on it, or the clutch cover, Im loosin it right now, I can see the cubic dollars leaving my wallet. :)

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.